With all the Forces (Watty Awards 2012)

New shizz up. Please vote, I'm putting it up for the Wattys.

-x-

“Ma’am we don’t have all day,” he sighed, scratching his head in frustration.

I smirked, leaned back and turned my attention back to him. “You really want to know?”

He nodded once. “That’s why we’re here, Ma’am.”

Snarky bastard.

-x-

I was seven when I first saw him. I watched as he followed the car through the tinted windows. As we drove into the drive way, a small group of children gathered by the wall, itching to see who their new neighbours were.

Their faces grew larger with anticipation as our doors opened just to fall in disappointment when they saw who we were.

As I grew older I realised that their disappointment was due to our ethnicity. You see, people in the town didn’t take kindly to folk like us. However, at seven, I was still naïve enough to think that their disappointment was due to the fact that we didn’t have a dog. In the short time that I had been in the neighbourhood, I had noticed that near enough every house had a dog. Dad didn’t like dogs.

As we bundled out of the car, carrying all we had into the new house, I saw the group walk away until there was only one child left.

It was a boy. A small one of that. He looked to be around the same age as me. He had long blonde hair that hung messily on his head; and green eyes. They weren’t special green eyes or anything like that. They were just green. He had tiny brown freckles that decorated his face without any particular pattern.

I hadn’t noticed that we’d been staring at each other wordlessly until he broke the spell with an awkward grin. He had three teeth missing.

I was going to return his smile when an angry voice sliced through our silence.

“Jasper, get here now!” The voice belong to, judging by the freckles and facial features, Jack’s mum.

My theory was confirmed seconds later. “Coming, mum!” Jasper  shouted back before grinning to me and running off to his house.

-x-

“Ma’am what does this have to do with anything,” the man asked again, his voice thick with impatience.

“I’m getting to it,” I grinned. “You need the back story otherwise nothing will make sense.”

He sighed, leaning back into his chair. He remained quiet so I took this as my cue to continue.

-x-

I had been living in the new house for almost a whole week now and not one of the children had come to say hello. Not even that boy. My mum had said that the neighbours where uptight and couldn’t handle anything remotely different. She was right.

Whenever I would go to try and play with the other children they would not even try to pretend to like me.

“Stay away from us, freak,” one of the girls Carla would sneer.

I couldn’t understand why she thought she could say that. She was at least the same age as my little brother Daniel!

Although I was never allowed to play with them, I had gotten to know the kids quite well. Jasper was eight and he had a little sister called Jaimie who was six. If you didn’t know them, you would never guess they were brother and sister. They looked nothing alike.

The other sibling couple was Brad and Amy. Brad was the oldest in the group at 10. Amy was 9 like Jasper. It was obvious that Brad and Amy were related; they both has red hair and the same freckle pattern. However, while Brad was tall and think, Amy was chubby and short. From what I had seen, she had a short temper.

It was after four when our door bell rang for the first time.

“Finally. I wonder who finally grew up,” my Mum had muttered in our native tounge. She did that a lot. It was her and Dad’s way of ensuring that we never forgot where we came from. It hadn’t worked; Daniel couldn’t speak the language and to be honest neither did I but we understood it which was good enough for our parents.

Anyway, about that bell. I stood up reluctantly not wanting to miss that episode of Scooby doo and went to answer the door.

To say I had been surprised would be an understatement. Jasper was standing at my door.

“Hello,” he said shyly, his feet trained to his feet.

I paused for quite some time until I answered him with an equally shy, “hello”.

The awkward silence soon took over us again as we stood at the door.

“Who’s at the door? My mum yelled from the living room.

“No one,” I replied back before realising that Jasper could have taken offence to that. “Just a friend,” I added before quickly panicking again. What if he didn’t think of me as a friend. He could have been here for lots of reasons.

My worries were quickly silenced when Jasper grinned to me. “Can I come in?”

-x-

“Ma’am,” he groaned, rubbing his eyes violently. “Please get on to it.”

I rolled my eyes at him. “The more you interrupt me, the longer I’m going to take,” I replied coolly.

“I wouldn’t have to interrupt you if you weren’t turning this into How I Met Your Mother.”

I grinned at him and continued my story.

-x-

I stood at the door step for a few moments, in absolute silence not knowing what to do or say. If I say no then he would be offended which would make the other kids hate me even more. But what if I let him in and he’s mean like the others and he ends up ruining my house?

“My name is Melissa.”

-x-

Dan Dan DAAAAA! Guess who’s writing a Watty Awards book? Woop Woop! Tis I and it’s going to be a romance but if you’ve read my work you will know that nothing ends happily. Also, it’s actually going to have an actual plot unlike my others which are more like really long One Shots. Now that I have nothing to do with my life, I’ll be able to update this more and since I want it to do well I’m going to finish it quick before I start Sixth Form.