Teaser

"Nurse Choi, if you could attend to the guest in room nine please."

"Yes, Doctor," I said as I slowly stood up from the chair I had sat on just seconds before. Being the only nurse in a doctor's office had its perks, but it was busy days like these that made me want to curl up in a ball and binge watch TV. I grabbed the patient's chart and made my way to the room. I glanced at the info to see what kind of patient I would be dealing with this time. Dr. Rosenthal worked with patients of all types that had rare illness and conditions no other specialists could deal with. While the man was a genius, he was a bit kooky in the head. That was the main reason I was his only nurse. I was the only one that had survived the crazy man's antics. I paused in front of the door, my eyes narrowing at the clipboard of papers in my hand. Under diagnoses was the word "Special" written in Dr. Rosenthal's illegible scrawl. I glanced at the patient's name and then braced myself for the "special" case waiting for me behind the doors.

"Hello Mr. Min, my name is Nurse Choi. I'll be taking care of you today."

"Nurse Choi. I don't want to die in 80 days." I looked up from my chart for the first time to look at him and my eyes widened. His cat-like eyes were empty and sad, completely void of any happiness and joy. When they met mine, I felt my heart ache. He spoke again, his hushed voice cracking as he was on the brim of tears.

"Please save me. I don't want to die."