Fading Lilies

There was a sudden knock on the door and my head turned towards it with a shocked expression, much like a deer in headlights. I stepped forward and kicked my foot back, slamming the door shut. I felt my lunch churning in my stomach. I could still feel the warmth of it searing through me. I would have enjoyed that aspect of it, if not for the present circumstance threatening to pull it right out of me.

I walked into the kitchen and searched for the tiny silver key that would have fit the lock of the door I had just shut. I needed it secured. I didn’t know who was at my door, but whoever it was, I didn’t need them snooping around my home. I pulled open drawers, rummaged, and slammed each shut with a frustrated thud. I couldn’t find it.

“Blast it all!” I hissed under my breath.

The knocking continued. Someone was keen to get in, but why? Why would anyone be visiting at such an hour? It was well past midnight and the sun was nowhere near ready to show itself.

“Hold your horses!” I called out to the mysterious visitor at the door.

“For what?” the familiar voice called back. “I’m freezing my butt off out here, you know.”

“Swift?” I asked, surprised. I don’t know why I was. My friend, who goes by the nickname Swift Wing down at the station, had a tendency of showing up unexpected. I guess I was just getting a little too paranoid back then. It was a trivial fear really. It’s not like anything could go too horrible. If worse came to worst, I could just leave– again.

“Lily?” Swift Wing called back, mocking my shock.

I sighed and allowed myself the relief of a brief pause. I had overreacted. Though I still wasn’t comfortable with leaving the door unlocked, I felt confident that I’d be able to avoid letting Swift Wing in. I walked briskly over to the door and pressed my palm down on the handle. The door released its hold against the frame with a gentle click.

Before he had a chance to step inside, I stepped out and shut the door, forcing my friend to take a few steps back. It was dark, and I could just barely make out the shape of his figure in the depths of the night. The lampposts were put out. They were all shut off just before midnight to avoid encouraging anyone wondering the town at night.

There were rumors of strange happenings floating around. All of Hollowville was now speaking of strange loss of memory. They all had stories of walking through the streets and blacking out, only to wake up at home with no recollection of the previous night, or even how they got back. It was sending fear through the citizens, and even some subtle enjoyment due to the new tales arising. I thought it was sick really, that people could find enjoyment in hearing these tales. They laughed away as if they thought it was a joke, but I knew better. Of course I knew better. Who would know better than I?

Even if there was no truth to what these people said, they clearly believed it. Why laugh at another’s imbalance? There were people out there losing their lives, people losing their minds, and then the rest of them, those making jokes out of it all. They disgusted me. They disgusted me almost as much as I disgusted myself.

“Are you alright, Lily?” Swift Wing asked, pulling my conscience away from the depths of my thoughts.

I looked to the frame of his face. His eyes just barely reflected the light that was concealed behind my curtained windows.

“I’m fine.” I assured him with a lie. “Why do you ask?” I ventured, hoping he wasn’t noticing anything strange.

“You’re just quiet,” he told me. “I guess that’s not all that strange, considering it’s you I’m talking to.”