Chapter One

Darra woke up to the whirling sound of his ceiling fan. He opened his eyes to see the his dull, blue ceiling. He ran his fingers through his platinum blonde hair as he yawned. It was a Saturday day morning in London. Darra threw his duvaut off of him and got out of bed. He headed into his small bathroom. In the mirror, he could see the dark circles forming under his grey blue eyes. Darra turned the faucet on and let the cold water graze his hands. He formed his hands into cups and splashed the water on his face. He dried his hands on the towel and walked back into his bedroom. The grey room walls were a collage of what Darra loved. Maps of places he wanted to travel to, polaroids of his friends and movie ticket stubs. He was a person who longed for adventure and freedom; to be up in the clouds, away from the real world. But he was stuck in reality.

He wanted to leave, Darra ran his fingers over the old map of England, that he found in a copy of his favorite magazines. He walked over to his dresser and pulled out a white tank top and a dark blue flannel. He took off his grey shirt and put on his new, clean clothes. He slipped on his black socks and converse. Darra walked into his kitchen of his small apartment. He turned the faucet on and grabbed a glass from a white cabinet. Darra drank half of the glass and dumped the rest in a small fern on his countertop. He grabbed his keys and a small dark blue backpack. He took his phone from the charging outlet and put his earbuds in. He turned on his spotify and turned the music all the way up. It tuned out all of his unwanted thoughts. He walked quickly down the many steps in the dark hallway. As soon as he stepped outside, he could feel the faint warmness on his face. He looked to his left to see, the busy sidewalk filled with commuters and the streets were filled with cars, in a sea of metallic blacks and reds.

Darra walked down the sidewalk watching the world move around him, in the crowd of people, he still felt alone. He walked past an old-fashioned tv store to see the news. It was the same sort of thing he always saw. Death. A person accidentally bumped into him and quickly said sorry. Darra looked at the woman, she had dark brown eyes and hair. In her hand, she had some sort of poster and had a bright yellow kanken backpack on and a red beret.

"Sorry," he said back. He smiled and continued down the sidewalk. Darra walked into a small coffee shop and grabbed a black coffee to go and a small blueberry muffin. He glanced over to the left to see a person glaring at him. Darra looked away and gave the cashier the money. He walked out of the coffee bar and jaywalked across the busy road. Darra headed into a large building. He had just finished college and had gotten a small job as a journalist. He walked up to his small corner of his office and the second he sat down a paper was smacked down onto his desk.

"Did you finish the new article? We need it today Darra. If you can't deal with this job, you will be fired."

"Yes, I finished it. I also have my article for tomorrow's paper." Darra smiled as he handed the papers to his boss.

"Good job, you always manage to surprise me." His boss walked away and Darra's expression changed. He reached into his bag and wondered how many travel days he had. Darra opened up his email on his computer and saw what his next topic was for a new article. On the screen, his boss wrote:

Darra you have proved you can write, over and over again. For once I want you to write the main article in a month. It will be everything, I am counting on you. Talk to me once you have any ideas.

Darra suddenly became nervous, he was responsible for a big article and had no idea what to do. As his work day continued, something clicked in his brain. He needed to leave, he looked at the clock and it was time for him to go home. Darra walked out of the building into the brisk afternoon. It was grey out and he walked down the street. He saw a yellow backpack in front of him and he knew that it was the woman he saw earlier that day. Darra walked across the street toward his small apartment. As soon as he got into his apartment, he took a dark blue suitcase out of his closet. He threw it on his bed and started putting clothing in it. He created a few outfits and thought that was fine. Darra didn't know where he was going to go, but he knew he wouldn't stay forever. Just for a while.

He took his wallet out of his back pocket and flipped through to see how many pounds he had. Darra searched in every corner of his room for money. He found a lot of money in an envelope that had money from his birthday. Darra threw the enolpe with the money into his suitcase and packed a moleskin journal where he wrote all of his small stories and poems. He zipped up his suitcase and layed down on his bed. Darra looked at his walls and looked at the maps, he was ready for an adventure.