𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫 / 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘰𝘰𝘭.

╭─────────╮

╰─────────╯

╰─────────╯

'everyone, line up!' natsuya instructed.

'yes!'

'today we've got some new club members. i'm sure the second and third years already know, but there's a practice tournament with sano middle school coming up. and then after, there's a real tournament. the first years will also be participating, so don't slack off!' he reminded.

'yes!'

'now then, these are the new first years. now, go ahead and introduce yourselves,' natsuya encouraged, a lilac-haired boy with shoulder length locks and spring green eyes watched them with gentle eyes.

this is nao serizawa, natsuya's best friend. he's also the co-captain of the swim team.

'shiina asahi. i'm a first year!' asahi said proudly.

'hey! we already know you're a first year,' natsuya said. the club laughed lightly as asahi became flustered.

'i moved here in spring. i went to an sc where i used to live and i'm good at butterfly. i plan to become even faster! nice to meet you!' asahi bowed as the club clapped.

'Ikuya, introduce yourself,' [name] whispered, squeezing his shoulder.

'i'm kirishima ikuya. i swim breast stroke,' he said curtly.

[name] shifted in her spot when the clapping died down. 'i'm [last name] [name], i swim backstroke. um, i was diagnosed with a heart condition when i was a kid, so exercise is a little bit hard. please take care of me!' the club members hesitated, looking at each other with pity before clapping. Ikuya eyed her with concern as she rose to stand. tucking a strand of her behind her ear, she smiled sheepishly at him.

'i'm tachibana makoto. i swam backstroke at iwatobi sc. nice to meet you!'

'i'm nanase haruka. i only swim free.'

'polite speech,' makoto pressed, nudging haru's side.

'desu.'

'hm? your strokes are balanced well, boys. you'll be able to enter the medley relay in your year group,' natsuya stated.

'i will only join solo events. desu. and i'll only swim free.'

'haruka...'

'don't call me by my name,' haru responded bluntly. ikuya and asahi looked at him in shock, whereas makoto and [name] didn't look surprised.

'what are you mumbling about? more importantly, as your captain, i can't accept that you're only entering solo events and only swimming free!' natsuya scolded, stepping closer to the boy. 'you refuse no matter what?' haru nodded. 'haruka, don't be so full of yourself.' the 2 stared at each other in silence. 'get in the pool right now,' natsuya ordered. 'come on. race me for 50 meters.' nao put a hand to his head as natsuya removed his jacket and shirt. 'in freestyle.'

haru took his shirt off, dropping it on the ground before stretching alongside natsuya.

'hm, hold on!' makoto called, but nao held his arm out.

'our captain won't give up once he gets like that. just give up,' he advised.

'haruka. i'll have to put you to the test,' natsuya began as he stepped onto the diving platform and put his swimming cap and goggles on. 'try and beat me.'

'don't call me by my name,' haru repeated, following suit.

'there are more important problems here, haru!' [name] yelled angrily.

'nao, you call it,' natsuya instructed.

'yeah, yeah. get ready.' nao lifted the whistle to his lips. 'take your marks.' the whistle blew and the 2 boys dived into the pool simultaneously. excitement and shock bubbled throughout the crowd.

'that guy is fast!'

'he's neck and neck with the captain!'

'they're entering the turn...' [name] muttered to herself.

'that first year is still keeping up with the captain!'

'oh! they're tied!'

the 2 slammed their hands into the wall and everyone gasped in shock when they removed their caps and goggles.

'you both finished at the same time,' nao reported, kneeling down.

'i see. dammit..' natsuya held his hand out for haru to shake. 'you really are fast. fine, you can just swim free. but since we tied, you're going to have to enter the relay.' haru turned to natsuya and shook his hand firmly. 'and next time i'm going to win!' natsuya promised. haru nodded with a huff as they hauled themselves out of the pool. 'alright! let's start practice!'