001 | cobweb headaches.

7:07PM

IT WAS SEPTEMBER FIRST, and min yoongi could've never imagined he'd be wasting a perfectly great-for-working saturday the way he was now—shoulder to shoulder in an uber with his 'best friend' of four years, park jimin.

rolling his eyes with a not-so discreet sigh, the ravenette practically cringed at the money he imagined himself losing. behind closed eyelids he practically dreamt of his convenience store's cash register: a safe haven with it's comforting gray hue and cool surface. all the working nights he'd spend pent up at that counter, counting the ridges along the sides of coins and fingerprints littering dollar bills, could've honestly driven anyone mad—but never yoongi. in his life, you had to work for any and everything you wanted. moments where he could count his blessings, a.k.a. paychecks and tips, fueled a burning desire for more.

he was a bit strange as a child. instead of dreaming of having super strength, or the ability to fly, yoongi knew exactly what he wanted—what most adults wanted.

yoongi dreamed of being rich.

that dream never changed, and he still hoped to reach it—through part time job after part time job, away from his broken family of slugs, away from any unnecessary contac–

"hey yoongi, do you really think i look okay?"

park jimin.

a persistent classmate of his, that was hellbent on showing yoongi the wonders of life. after an intense fight in middle school, yoongi finally grew tolerant of jimin's blindingly bright personality. since then, jimin took it upon himself to step down from his popular position in their school's twisted little society, to be alongside yoongi at the bottom. yoongi really had appreciated jimin for all the brunette's ever done, but it wasn't like he'd ever admit it.

"you look fine." though yoongi hadn't even glanced in jimin's direction. noticing this, the brunette huffed in frustration.

"you said that earlier!"

"yeah yeah, but we all know you really want to hear that fucking polished kid's opinion."

"h-hey! he's not...that polished."

"he lives in a mansion second only to the president's. a mansion i could actually get lost in." yoongi carried a blank tone, his eyes squinted challengingly at jimin in case the brunette decided to counterattack.

"okay, maybe he's a little bit polished." jimin muttered, looking off to the side. at his obvious sugarcoating, the ravenette scoffed.

rolling down the window, yoongi pulled out a familiar azure lighter, paired with a single cigarette. feeling the driver's eyes on him, the teen responded with his own pointed glare before igniting his fix. the lukewarm smoke helped soothe a never-fading cold, an ice cold chill dormant within his core.

"you always have that lighter on you, it's just a matter of what pack you're carrying." jimin scoffed, opening the window on his own side at an attempt to rid the air of any tendrils of gray smoke.

"it's malboro tonight, camel's kind of lost it's rush." yoongi sighed contentedly, blowing a sliver of gray into jimin's bangs. chuckling at the younger's sporadic coughs, he definitely noticed the driver growing annoyed from the corner of his eye. practically wheezing, jimin glared at yoongi whilst fixing his smoke-induced bangs. "i swear you're lungs are gonna explode—"

"and so will your heart the moment jeon-" and at that moment yoongi felt a pair of hands clamp around his mouth, the cigarette slipping through one of the digits, as his ebony eyes met jimin's flushed face. "alright, alright! stop it!"

satisfied, the ravenette proceeded to jokingly raise his hands in surrender, leading to jimin retracting his own. the atmosphere was quieter now, as the car pulled up to a larger than life mansion. exiting the vehicle, jimin turned back to thank the driver—only to be met with exhaust as they sped away. sighing, the brunette turned back to yoongi, who was stepping out the used cigarette. "seriously, these cigarettes are gonna be the end of you one day."

shrugging, yoongi was then met with a butler who led the two to the door of the jeon abode. he was able to faintly make out laughter and loud music, and just couldn't hold back another eye roll.

"w-wait yoongi." jimin stuttered, gripping onto the said teen's sleeve as he reached for the doorbell. sighing, the ravenette turned to jimin and noticed anxiety splashed across the brunette's face—wracking his body with subtle shakes and an aggressive heart beat.

"park jimin. the whole reason that i'm here is to be a sort of shitty emotional boulder for you, in case you chicken out right? for fucks sake, you're already at his door. just confess to the guy already."

"he's not just any guy, he's-" jimin cut himself off as the door creaked open, to reveal the very person that's been the root of his heart going haywire for the past two years.

standing before them was jeon jeongguk, the young master of the establishment, with a million dollar smile gracing his perfectly chiseled face. jet black hair fell attractively over crescent-moon eyes, and his pink lips left the brunette in a daze.

and while jimin was hot and bothered, yoongi remained indifferent. the ravenette frankly couldn't grasp what he saw in this rich brat.

"ah, jimin you made it! and you brought someone else along?" the noirette smiled, his bangs shifting to match his animated tone. turning to the elder beside jimin, a look of confusion darted across his face.

"min yoongi, right? my name is j-"

"i know who you are, this kid never shuts up about you." the smoker responded, jutting his head in jimin's direction.

"yoongi!"

"well, that's a bit flattering. nonetheless, thank you for coming to celebrate my 18th birthday! hope you enjoy the party." jeongguk beamed, letting the butler holding the door open, lead the two in.

"wow." jimin breathed dreamily, seeming to fall faster and harder than he ever had before.

glancing around at the array of butlers scattered about both the mansion's exterior and interior, along with the several kerosene lamps littering the mansion's interior, yoongi couldn't help but be impressed.

"wow's not the right word for a place like this." the ravenette whispered, before following jimin inside.

-

the doors had then closed.
it's only a matter of time
before the game begins.

(a/n)
hi hello everyone, hwal here!
as much as i appreciate all the support i've gained from this book's debut so far, it'd really mean the world if you guys could spread the word about this book in any way manageable. this book progresses based on the choices you guys choose so the more players we have, the more interesting the game will get! thank you so much and i'll hopefully see more of you guys in the next chapter! :—)