Invasion

Chapter 1: Invasion
Abigail's POV

Aliens. To believe or to not believe, right? I do. I did before, but if you don't believe in Them now, you're more damned than any of us. They came and They took over everything. We lost control, we have nothing left.

I wore a black rain jacket, jeans, and brown combat boots. The rain came down pretty hard, but I didn't put my hood up or try to find a place to hunker down. Water splashed up as I continued down an abandoned road.

It was June 27th when it all happened. I was in my bedroom, getting ready for work. I was down from college for the summer, staying at my parents' place.

"Breakfast!" my dad called.

I pushed my hair behind my ears and grabbed my purse before jogging down the stairs. When I sat down at the table, my twin brother came over and pushed me lightly.

"Knock it off, Josh," my mom scolded.

I smiled and took a sip of my orange juice.

My parents built the stereotypical family. Eggs, toast, and orange juice for breakfast; two children; bagged lunches for school; a stay-at-home mom; a set chores list where laundry is done every two days and sheets are washed every saturday; a small village with close-by neighbors.

I mean, my mom was an absolute neat freak. Her entire life was in perfect order. She planned which days to clean the bathroom, which days to hang out with her friends, what days to go for runs. She planned all her outfits ahead and I'm pretty sure she planned all of my father's.

I was glad to get away from home for a while, but I was happy to be back. I forgot what order and organization felt like. College completely tore my life apart.

After breakfast, I stood and made my way towards the door, grabbing my keys off of the hook.

"I'll be back at 6," I said. "Love you all, except you, Josh."

"Love you, too, sis."

I smiled with my back to him and shut the door behind me. I got into my car and headed off to work. As I drove, the radio in my car shut off. I continued on to work, dad could look at it later.

That was my first mistake.

It was getting dark, the sun settling behind the mountains for the night. I shut my car door and pulled out of the parking lot. It was quiet, since my radio wasn't working, but I just enjoyed the peacefulness of it. It was extremely still on the roads, not a car in sight. The mountains were dark, as were all the houses I drove by. I was skeptical, but just kept driving.

I pulled into my driveway, next to the family car, and unlocked the front door. The kitchen table had four plates set up, all with forks and knives next to them. In the middle were a few slabs of roasted turkey, a pot of green beans, and a dish of mashed potatoes. The salt and pepper shakers sat in the center of everything, next to the plate of butter.

One thing I noticed was the candles all over the counters. Besides these, the rest of the house was dark.

"I'm home!" I called, but the house felt dead. It was quiet...too quiet. "Hello?"