Expextations

It was Niall and Liam's day in the studio. The two boys had to record their vocals for their next album and they certainly were expecting any surprise company.

A girl about the age of 20 with a small build and short brown hair walked into the studio pushing a double stroller. Her eyes were a dark green color and her lips were slim. "Jake sit down," she whispered loudly at the toddler who was trying to stand up. She looked up and met Niall's eyes.

"Hi," she smiled. Niall waved uncertainly. "Oh sorry, I'm Alison and I'm looking for Liam." She said softly. Liam was currently in the studio and didn't notice anything.

"Ay babe!" Niall called out not breaking eye contact, he made sure to emphasize 'babe'.

"Yeah?" Liam answered, peeking his head from the doorway. "Someone is here for you," Niall said. Liam turned his head and his eyes widened. "Alison?" His jaw dropped. Niall was confused, "I'm guessing you guys know each other." Niall said furrowing his eyebrows. "I-I'll give you guys some privacy." Niall said, kissing Liam before walking out.

Liam slowly walked towards her. "What are you doing here? I haven't seen you in so long." He said hugging her thin shoulders.

"Well you never returned my calls and I couldn't get a hold of you so.." She said calmly. Jake was now kicking around in his seat and picking on his twin, Tyler. "Jake knock it off." She scolded. Liam's attention went to the twins. "So you've settled down?" Liam asked before looking back at her. "We'll not quite, that's why I came to see you." She sighed, "can we talk?" Liam nodded and guided her to the leather sofa.

Niall decided to head across the street to the corner shop and grab a snack. He wondered who that girl was and why she needed Liam. He pushed it to the back of his mind and grabbed a bag of crisps.

"Ok well I don't know how to say this but I'm just going to say it. Liam..." She huffed and looked Liam in the eyes. "They are your kids." Liam's eyes widened even more and he looked at the twins. He laid down on the couch trying to let the news sink in. They watched him closely and Liam's heart stopped. "They're what?" He asked slowly. Alison sighed again before repeating herself.

"When you left for the xfactor, I found out I was pregnant with them and I tried to call you but you never answered, I moved back in with my mum and it was hard Liam." She said, "I want them to know their dad."

Liam couldn't even form words so he just listened.

"That's not the only reason I brought them here, Li, I need to tell you something else." She said placing a hand on his thigh. She wiped away the tears forming in her eyes and Liam was worried. "Liam I have stage three lung cancer," she choked out but she couldn't continue. She cried into her hands and Liam hugged her. "W-what?" He stuttered. "Liam I'm going to die." She cried, "the doctors only gave me two months."

Tears filled Liam's eyes and he kissed her forehead. He shook his head, he couldn't think of any words. "Liam, I'm sorry, I don't want to interfere with your life, I'll just give them to my mom."

"No! No! This is the least I can do. Me and my b-boyfriend, we will raise them." Liam said. The twins looked at their mom and Tyler reached out for her, "mama!" She pulled away from Liam and lifted Tyler into her lap which made Jake scream out. She grabbed him too and sat them on her lap. Alison wiped her tears before continuing. "Liam I don't want to leave them but seems like I have no choice. I want you to raise them, they need their dad." She said, Liam was now holding her hand.

Niall was making his way back to the studio, assuming they were done. Once he walked in, he saw Liam hugging Alison and kissing her forehead. He stood there for awhile before going outside to the car. He climbed in and rested his head against the steering wheel. "Did you come to take Liam?" Niall asked out loud. He wiped his tears and groaned.

Liam nodded his head, "Yeah, anything. Let's go talk to Niall." Liam got up wiping his eyes. He walked outside to search for Niall, Alison and the boys following behind. "Niall?" Liam called out. He finally spotted him in the car with his head down. He went over and knocked on the window.

Niall jumped and turned his head, both of then were staring at him and he groaned. Was this the part where Liam told him he was leaving? "Niall I need to talk to you." Liam said. "Are you going to leave me?" He asked bluntly. "What? No! Of course not but we need to talk. Come out." Liam said pulling on the door handle. Niall furrowed his eye brows and stepped out.

Niall followed the others inside, Jake was staring at him and Niall just made faces at him. Jake whimpered before hiding his face in his mom's shoulder. Niall snickered to himself and followed close behind.

Liam sat down and Anna adjusted one of the twins on her lap, bouncing him to calm him down. "Well Niall, this is Alison and we were together before xfactor and those two are my kids." Liam said. Niall's eyes widened. "What?" Niall asked. Niall's heart stopped, he knew Liam was going to leave him for sure now.

"Niall calm down," Liam said placing a hand on Niall's. "This is very sad, Alison is very sick." Niall's face softened. "What? Why?" He asked. "I'm terminally ill and I'm sorry to push in like this Niall, I'm not trying to replace you but I need them to spend time with their dad." She explained. Niall understood. "Oh yeah go ahead, I'll just stay away." He said.

"No that's not what I meant, I mean your going to take my place when I l-leave." She handed the twins over to Liam before rushing out of the room. Niall looked down, wiping his tears. Liam handed Jake over to Niall and placed Tyler in the buggy before chasing after her. Jake began wailing and thrashing around in Niall's arms. Niall held the baby awkwardly and tried to calm him down. "Please don't cry, I'm not good with babies," he explained. He held Jake out at a distance.

Liam went outside to comfort Alison. "I'm terribly sorry, I promise they will always remember you." Liam said wiping her tears.

Tyler started crying for his mom and Niall didn't know what to do. He was praying for Liam to come back. The two finally walked through the door and jake stopped crying. Liam came and grabbed jake. Tyler was now holding out his arms towards Niall and Niall didn't know if he should pick him up or not. "I'm really sorry Niall, I didn't mean to push all this on you." She apologized and wiped her tears. Niall shook his head. "Let's all go to our place," Liam suggested and looked at Niall. Niall wasn't liking the idea but he nodded his head, for Liam. "Ok," Niall muttered and Alison hugged him. Niall hesitated but gave in, Liam smiled at the two of them.

Niall was the first one out to the car, he jumped into the passenger seat and plugged in his earphones. Niall watched from the rear view mirror and saw Liam helping Alison in the backseat. He placed the kids on her lap and kissed her temple. Niall's jaw clenched and he focused forward.

Liam had noticed Niall's 'uncomfortable' reaction towards all this and shook his head. How could someone have that much lack of compassion towards someone who was literally dying. Niall looked over at Liam as he climbed into the drivers seat and then stared out the window. He skipped a few slow songs and laid his head against the glass.

The car ride was long and silent, mostly uncomfortable, especially for Niall. Alison had fallen asleep in the back from exhaustion. Niall noticed Liam glancing at her every couple minutes and Niall just rolled his eyes.