Prologue

One... Two... Blackout. One... Two... Blackout. Every time a blackout occurred, a little shake. Was it sad that I had gotten used to counting? Was it sad that that was the only thing left in my mind besides the fact of trying to survive? Maybe it was, but I had no more free time to even think about. The end had come. And it was either all because of my 17th birthday, or just pure coincidence.

"Happy Birthday dear Valerie.... Happy Birthday To You!" everyone said.

"Make a wish, sweetie and blow out the candles!" My mom would say.

"Yes, I know mom. I'm not 5 anymore." Now, for my wish. I had spent a lot of time thinking about it for the past week. I had a lot in mind. Maybe for my sister to be a little more respectful of my privacy. Maybe to get a new phone. But no, that was all unnecessary. I had come to the conclusion of my wish. I thought it would be a great one- but little had I known -that wishes can come true.

I took a deep breath and leaned into the table to blow out my candles. Then, I made the wish.

I wish for my life to be more interesting. Or just, for something interesting to happen. That was my wish. Why did it have to be that wish? Why? Everything would have been perfect.

Though nothing happened for a while, I was used to it. I didn't expect my wish to come true because we all know that those are just for fun right? Wrong.

After 6 months had gone by-exactly 6 months-on the afternoon of December 8th, 2030 it had all changed.