Chapter One

Dibazaal was so much different before the quintessence. Of course, I was a child when the asteroid fell. I was in the lab with my mother, Honerva, as the ground shook. That was..decapheebs, rather centuries in Earth speak, ago. I remember it clear as day though..I was old enough. After the asteroid fell, my mother spent more and more time in the lab. I often went with her, as Kova was my protector. He had chosen my mother and I as those he'd protect. I was grateful. There was, however, a specific day that King Alfor had arrived with Zarkon. I had been helping my mother, however I wasn't tall enough to reach for what she needed so she sent me off with Kova. The cat had ran off, and I was looking for him when I heard someone yell. I ran over, I remember thinking 'Is someone hurt? Did mother figure it out?' But..that was not the case. Kova has startled Zarkon, which is why I heard the yell. My mother had come over just as I had gotten there, and I lifted Kova. "What is that?!" The male asked. "It is only Kova. He is from our dimension." Honerva said, setting her hand on my shoulder. Kova climbed onto my shoulder and curled up, watching Zarkon. "Good morning Azura." Alfor chided. "Zarkon, this is Honerva, our alchemist. This is her daughter, Azura." Alfor was so nice to me, I was glad.

"Pardon what I said about Kova." He said, shaking Honerva's hand. Zarkon crouched down, meeting my small height. "Hello there Azura. Is Kova your protector? He seems like it." He asked. "Yes sir. He protects mother and I." Zarkon simply smiled. He was good once..I admired him when I was younger. "Good." Zarkon stood and smiled. "I must be off, good day." Then He walked out. He really was a nice guy..but..that changed too quickly. He had become angrier as years went on..as the experiments went on. I was about ten, in human years, when they married. My mother had finally found someone she was happy with. I was happy too, but Kova wasn't. I could tell he wasn't. He didn't like a lot of people, but he really didn't like Zarkon.

It had maybe been..a few weeks when King Alfor and his wife had Allura. Zarkon took me to visit, which was amazing. Allura was really cute as a baby. We had given her a gift that mother had picked from tradition, which was nice. Kova seemed to like Allura too. Then after that..it was weeks of experiments. King Alfor had come by for a visit, I remember it clearly. I was helping mother run some experiments while Kova slept around my shoulders -like usual-, when King Alfor walked in. "Honerva, thank you for Allura's gift. It was very thoughtful." I simply glanced over. "It is tradition." Mother's voice was stoic..and I had hardly recognized it. "Ah, Yes..well how are the tests going?" Honerva looked down at me. I stayed silent, continuing to write as I examined the tube that the black and purple orb had zoomed around in. "Fascinating, isn't it?" My voice rang through the silence. "It is." My mother spoke behind me. "Nothing else entered but this.." I set my hand against the glass, as did my mother. That's when the room began to shake. I looked over as the ceiling started crumbling. "Mother..?!" Zarkon had grabbed my arm and lifted me, carrying me out as he guided Honerva and Alfor our as well. He didn't set me down until we were all clear, which was fine as I didn't want to let go of him. "You're Alright now little one.." Zarkon said softly. "Papa.." I had looked up at the Galran leader, and fear was evident on my features. "It's alright.." Zarkon set me down, and I looked over at Honerva who had looked exhausted. "Honerva, sit down and catch your breath." Zarkon said, and I came over to help my mother.

After that incident, I was trained in battle. There was a day I remembered well..Zarkon had lost his temper on me that day. We were out in the training yard, and using real swords. He had continued to press me to attack him, but I couldn't do it. He had continued to attack, and I had continued to block. That's when Kova was dangerously close to attacking him. I kept my foot out in front of Kova at all times as a warning to stay back. By this time I was..about fifteen. King Alfor suddenly called upon my father to come see the lions. Just as King Alfor came out, father swung. I was knocked back onto the ground and I dropped my sword. Kova stepped in front of me and hissed at Zarkon as I sat up, but the emperor didn't seem to mind it. "Later then, Daughter." Zarkon had referred to me as daughter or child more than he had my actual name. That was the day my mother had fallen ill. As I brushed myself off, I lifted Kova and let him curl across my shoulders like he normally had. Walking inside, I noticed my mother in the lab working. "Mother?" I questioned. "Azura I told you not to bother me while I work.." Her voice was like venom, at which I cringed slightly. "But, you always want me to help you in the lab mother.." my voice was soft compared to hers. "I don't need your help today. Get out." I paused, debating on whether or not I should have left. I really shouldn't have. That's when Alfor and Zarkon walked in. Kova sat up and eyed Zarkon closely. Mother had found a way to keep Kova alive, which I was overjoyed about. "Is that Kova..?" Alfor was looking my way. "Yes, I found a way to keep him alive.." Mother's voice had grown soft once more. I was worried. Kova simply laid his head back down on my shoulder, eyeing Alfor and Zarkon.

Alfor had said something to upset my mother, which upset Zarkon. "You will have no more help from me." Is basically what Alfor said, before turning and leaving. Zarkon was yelling at Alfor as he walked away, but when I turned to look at my mother she had collapsed. "Mother..!" I ran over, Kova jumping down from my shoulders. "Papa, mother collapsed!" I called, to which he turned and ran over. He lifted up mother and brought her to their room. I closely followed and so did Kova.

Everything was chaos after this..but, I was just too blind to see how bad it is. My mother had grown far too ill for her to function properly. I had just turned Sixteens when my mother had grown this ill. She continued to mumbled about quintessence and the lions, and she was fidgety. "Azura, give us a moment." Zarkon had said from beside me. I, hesitantly, stood from my place beside mother's beside and walked out with Kova following quickly. I stood just outside the hall, and cover my mouth with my hand. I had tried so hard not to cry, but it was no use. Tears rolled down my face, and I had to keep my cries muffled by my hand. My thought was that my mother was dying, and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I was wrong, but I didn't know that.

After a couple days, father had taken mother into the black lion, and the Paladins had disappeared to the void. I stood with Kova, watching for any signs of them returning. They did after a few hours. However, mother and Father didn't make it. Father had taken her out of the lion to heal her, and it didn't work properly. We had all thought they died. We were all dead wrong. A few months, almost a year, later, father came on the screen. A lot of the Alteans looked towards me as if I did something, which I didn't. I was just as scared as they were. The war raged on soon after, but I wasn't able to join. Alfor had..he put Allura, Coran and I in Cryopods as Zarkon's army broke through. I remember falling asleep as Zarkon killed Alfor. Then I woke up, ten-thousand years later to the Paladins. The new Paladins of Voltron.