Lamia the snake charmer

Pipe in her fingers and eyes blissfully half open, Lamia played her traditional snake charmer cord with an ease other women were often envious of. Her pet Arabian black snake, Lura, rose and swayed with the pipe's constant swinging, watching it with her glistening black eyes.

When the song finished, Lamia nodded in almost fake modesty as the crowd that had gathered clapped and tossed her plenty of coins. She smiled gratefully as she picked them up and tucked them in the wicket basket, Lura slithering up her arm as tame as a kitten.

"Stop thief!" The sudden cry made her look up to see an all too familiar young man atop a building. She sighed, running her fingers through her shoulder length black hair. "Oh Aladdin not again." She muttered under her breath, closing the basket and darting off into an alley. Like a beetle she skittered through the shadows and eventually caught up with the mischievous male that was her brother.

"Morning Lamia, thought you said you were helping me with breakfast today." "Hell no, today's the best day for business." He rolled his eyes.

"Whatever, how much money did you collect?" "Only enough for us, you?" "One loaf of bread, no more no less." She sighed, it wasn't exactly a banquet but she knew they were luckier then most.

After finally losing the guards, the two siblings were ready to dig in when they noticed a pair of young children scavenging through garbage some feet away. Aladdin hesitated, looking to Abu who frowned and took a large bit out of his portion of bread. Lamia scolded the monkey lightly.

With a gentle sigh, Aladdin stood and gave the children his bread, soon followed by Abu. Lamia watched then and hesitated before approaching.

"Here, use them wisely." And she placed her entire share of money in the little boy's hand, she turned her head to her basket and whistled lightly, Lura rose out from her sleeve, slithered down her hand palm and placed the last few coins into the girl's hand, whose bright eyes lit up at the sight of the snake, lightly and quickly patting her head. The reptile seemed to smile. Just then, the blare of royal music made all three of them look up and the little boy bolted out into the street.

Lamia watched in utter fascination as her brother stood up to the royal pain only to get knocked into a mud pit. Furious, Lamia jumped out behind the horse, took a deep breath, and screamed a warrior cry.

With wide eyes the horse reared up, giving her the opportunity to slap him on the rear and playfully wave as the royal pains bolt off into the garden. She turned away from the doors just as they slammed shut, she jumped slightly, looking back at how tall they were with a sad sigh.

"Come on Lamia, let's go home." She sighed, leaning into her brother's grasp as they headed off to street rat town.

~

Lamia quietly put Lura to bed, kissing her scaly head and closing the basket, before walking over to where Aladdin stood looking out on the lit palace, eyes glistening with possibilities.

"What would you do if you could get into the palace?" She rolled her eyes with a groan. "What?" "Come on Al, we've been playing this game for three nights straight. Doesn't this get old for you?" He pretended to think about it. "Not really. Now, the answer...?" She sighed.

"Honestly, I'd explore it. Get to know every nock and cranny, find a secret room to retire to every now and again." "You and your isolation. How the hell do you expect to find a husband if you're so isolated all the time?" Her face instantly darkened. "We're not bringing that up again." He shut his mouth, knowing better then to carry the conversation further.

~

After Aladdin went to sleep, Lamia took some time to think about the matter that had been hanging overhead for three years now.

Marrying a rich man in order to get the money. Is that really the last option we have? Every since Lamia reached the traditionally young age for marriage, Aladdin had come up with the terrible idea of her marrying off to a rich man to supply them both for life. Lamia had resisted the idea at first but with such a sad place for them to keep and difficulty to stay alive, let alone find a decent meal, things really did seem hopeless. Her head tilted to the view they had of the palace.

"I just wish there was some way we could both get what we want without the other feeling left out." And with a sad sigh she closed her eyes and drifted off to dreamland.