Ch. 1

She tossed yet another outfit on the floor and threw herself onto her bed in frustration. Clothes, she once loved, just didn't fit the way they used to and she hated herself a little more with each glance in the mirror. She looked at the clock and realized she needed to be heading downtown in 30 minutes.

She reluctantly got up and tugged on the black slacks she always wore along with her favorite bulky, oversized purple sweater. So much for looking cute on my first day.

The walk to the office did not take the 30 minutes that she had allotted and she was 15 minutes early, like she preferred. She used her employee badge to let herself in the building and took the elevator up to the 4th floor where the directory said Smosh was located.

...literally no one was here. Yes, she was 15 minutes early but...still usually several people arrived to work by 7:45 on a Monday. She looked in the window of Ian's office – dark. The computer room for Smosh Games – dark. All the studios were either dark or being used by other companies in the building.

She made herself a cup of coffee in the lounge and slowly made her way to her office at the very far end of the 4th floor. She had a private office right next to the editors co-working room as her work required silence that other editing jobs didn't. She would be a normal editor but her main gig was captioning videos and translating them. She was fluent in Spanish and German as well as American Sign Language but there was no need to Gloss videos. She opened her office door and saw that it was a modest little room with a desk and a comfy chair. She had only requested two monitors but was excited to see that they had given her three. The walls were blank and there were no windows nor was there much room for other furniture but it was all hers! She had an office!

She immediately got to work captioning the videos that Ian had emailed her asking her to work on first. She started with English and then it was fairly easy for her to transition to Spanish and German next. She had just tied up one video when someone cleared their throat. She jumped what seemed 8 feet in the air and let out a shriek.

Ian along with a petite blonde girl stood in front of her smiling and giggling.

"Sorreee, we didn't mean to spook ya!"

"Yeah, I just noticed your office light on and wanted to come say hello. I meant to beat you to the office to welcome you but I forgot you are an 8 to 5-er" Ian said. "This is Courtney" he gestured to the girl who had spoken first.

"I'm Lynn, nice to meet you." She smiled and reached out to shake Courtney's hand and felt a little awkward when she noticed her look at her outstretched hand weirdly.

"Uh...yeah I realized when I got here y'all must have different hours than I am used to."

"Most people just get in when their first call time is or if they don't have a morning call time everyone tries to be here by 9:30. You typically won't have call times so you can get here at 9:30 or whenever you want!" Lynn nodded and smiled.

"Well, lets go introduce you to everyone. I know you met the editing team when you interviewed but it's important for you to meet the people you will be captioning and spend time with them so you can caption their essence" Ian said dramatically and waved his hands. Lynn chuckled but followed him as he and Courtney led her back out to the lounge.

In the lounge were about 10 or 11 people all laughing and talking loudly while grabbing donuts and arguing about the coffee maker. She felt her palms get sweaty and she yanked her sweater down in a nervous movement.

Her eyes scanned the crowd quickly looking for her old friend Wesley. She and him had been editors together at an old company probably 6 years ago and she knew he had left the editing role for more of an online persona role at Smosh Games. She eventually spotted his purple hair in the crowd and he locked eyes with her and waved enthusiastically.