Introduction

"Look, Gamma!". Startled, I glanced around, to find a tall, slender, elderly man staring right at me. He was wearing a ridiculous, purple attire, that was covered with blinding yellow moons and stars. A sight that would only be possible within a dream.

      'Maybe that's it..! This is all just a dream..'. The thought of it all being inside my head filled me with relief. 'A dream that would die off any moment now when I awake..'. I took a deep breath and smiled. New determination has resonated within me. I decided to take my time to see what this 'dream' has to offer.

      Looking closer at this individual and noticed that he had only one eye shown; the other one was covered with a monocle. Sorrow has enveloped my heart: 'I wonder what happened to his other eye...'. Several possibilities of what may have happened has filled my thoughts.

      I gasped. I noticed that this odd individual wasn't alone. A shiver slid through my spine. 'Even if this is a dream...it still feels too realistic!'. I whimpered at the worst scenario possible. Holding my breath, I met my eyes with the third party. Next to the old man, I found an owl perched on a tall stand. It had a little red-violent bib around its neck with matching moons and stars of its owner. Along with a miniature hat; the type that a student would wear for graduation. I breathed slowly in relief and smiled at the unusual sight.

      "Finally, we have found one!". I jumped on impulse, the old figure spoke again. 'Found what?!', I was puzzled upon his outburst. "Whoooo?" , the owl responded to its owner. Hearing the normal sound of an owl oddly soothed me. "A young wizard!" the elderly wizard continued. It didn't take me long to adapt to the situation I was put in.

      'A wizard, huh?'. I was slightly taken aback by the odd selection. I wasn't the type of child to get into those type of roles. But neither does it mean that I'm against it. The thought of trying out a new change in pace had me willing to listen to what else the old man had to say. 

      "A student with amazing potential...enough, perhaps to save Wizard City!". The thought of listening such a discussion being predictable enough to have it in a typical children's TV-show eased my worries. I distanced myself from the uninteresting conversation and looked around the area some more.

      A red banner caught my eyes. Led by curiosity; I walked towards it. Not knowing my boundaries, I instinctively touched the shiny, golden trimmings. It the material felt as soft as cotton, lessening the tension on my shoulders. The first item that caught my attention was the parchment paper that appeared from top to bottom of the flag - there were meaningful words were written in an Old-English type of writing.

      But before I tried to interpret what it meant - I noticed the image of the great tree - Bartleby. 'Ah, looks like a typical oak tree..'. A cyan shield was warped around the symbol. I beamed tenderly at the pleasant sight. 'If mom was here, she would be thrilled to see this!' I grinned bitter sweetly.

      'Too bad I can't take this with me...". Looking glum about the limitations. I shook my head and began thinking of other ways to process this idea: 'Best I can do is tell mom about it...I could also try to draw it!'. My eyes shined in delighted of all the possibilities I could do after I wake up. 'Better try to memorize this the best I can!'.

      I took a second to realize the position Bartleby was in: his large roots were in mid air. I gulped, concerned about his well being. 'Even if this was just an illusion; it isn't acceptable to see this... Aren't the trees' roots meant to be in the ground...'. I went ahead and thought deeper into this matter: 'I wonder if it has had any water lately... I hope it has some sort of source of sunlight where ever it is.' Pained from the thought of what the poor tree might of endured. I was taught that plants needed soil, sunlight and water to survive. The great tree didn't appear to have any of these necessities.

      "Oh really? Where?". Nearly in tears, I turned around and looked back at the two strangers. I tried to open my mouth but nothing came out- I was too dejected to say anything. The old wizard frowned, "I wonder what manner of Wizard they might become". He slowly walked towards me. All I could do was follow his glance till he towered my stature. He grabbed my hand; I quivered at his tight but gentle grasp. He guided me to an elevated book stand. "Perhaps we should consult the Book of Secrets...". And so my story began.