Chapter 1

Winter sped in the snow, her black speckled coat a blur. A plump rabbit hung from her jaws, and her usual gentle green eyes now shown excitement.
Once viewing the clearing, she stopped, and looked around, noticing none of the other wolves were there, except the Judges. She dropped down her kill, and sat, eyeing her own judge
"I am first?" She asked, already knowing the answer.
"I believe so" said the female senior.
"Perhaps it will be a while before anyone gets here. Go and catch another"
Winter almost scowled, but she quickly hid her emotions. If she showed the Judge any sign of disrespect, her reputation would be ruined, and gaining a rank would be much harder.
"Yes ma'am," She dipped her head and sped once again over the soft snow.
Her pack was Valley Pack, a group that had its territory on the mountains. She had just turned two years of age, now considered an adult.
Like all adults, she had to a pass a test. And in this case, she was completing the test for Hunter.
"They think this is easy," she grumbled, complaining.
"If only I could get a break."
A few bare trees loomed ahead, promising some kind of hunt.
Here goes nothing, she thought, slowing down to stalking mode, having precision with every step. She finally caught scent of a young hare.
Suddenly, a dark figure leaped and caught the hare a second earlier than Winter. The she-wolf recoiled instinctively, and then she lowered herself, ready to attack.
"Who are you?" She demanded.
The wolf raised its head, dropping the hare, his blue eyes glaring at Winter.
he responded, dipping his head ever so slightly.
"My name is...Rainer." He said almost shyly.
"And remember this is no one's territory. Not mine or yours."
Winter nodded, looking at her paws.
"Got it," she took a few steps forward, intending to grab the hare, "now if you'll excuse me," she opened her jaws, but Rainer was already rushing away with the hunt.
"Not so fa-," the hare fell out, and Winter sped, and grabbed the kill, quickly but gently. She pranced away on the feathery snow, glancing back at Rainer.
"Oh, and by the way, I'm from Lake Pack."
Rainer's words clicked in her mind, but she couldn't quite remember what they meant. Nevertheless, she sped away, traveling quickly to the stern judges, eager to find out if she'd be given the assignment.