Prologue: The Escape

* Hey friends. I should probably give you some insight on the brutally messed up timeline of this story.  The book takes place a year after the prologue of Skyrim (helgen dragon attack). This is before Ancano comes to the College of Winterhold though.

        Nala saw the torches of the search party and she could hear the clatter of the twenty or so horses as she sat on her rock ledge not far above them. My mother must have sent her soldiers everywhere around the outer boundary of our shelter. She knew I would run away eventually.

        After the High King was murdered, Nala and her mother fled to Cyrodiil, where they had a place to stay just in case this happened. Nala didn't know how long she expected them stay there, but three months in a small shack with a highly protective mother had to be long enough.

        The king's wife knew it wouldn't be long before the two women were discovered so she taught young Nala how to wield a dagger. After a few weeks, the princess could kill a fox or rabbit in no time at all. Next, the queen trained her daughter in the arts of heavy armor. At first, Nala couldn't walk two steps without toppling over. By the time she was an expert, she worked up the courage to run away.

        All that work paid off. She thought as she watched the guards rush by on horseback. When the men were a good enough distance away, Nala hopped off of her ledge and ran in the other direction. She saw a bear about fifteen feet in front of her.

        Nala pulled out her magnificently carved dagger, she could see her bright blue eyes and light brown hair in the reflection of it, and charged at the bear. The animal saw her coming, but she had already stabbed it several times.The bear would have been impossible to drag around, so she just left it where she killed it in the woods.

       Just when she thought she was safe, the princess heard the shouting. "General Tullius, I found another filthy Stormcloak!"

        "Well, don't let any of them escape!" The general's voice sounded familiar. Before she could run very far, she was captured by the general's men.

        When the princess woke, she found herself in a cart with her hands bound. She was not alone, though. Beside her was a Stormcloak soldier, a thief, and another woman, who was sound asleep. It wasn't until they had reached their destination that she realized who else what in the carriage: her father's murderer, Ulfric Stormcloak.

        Apparently the thief didn't recognize the Jarl of Windhelm, because the soldier was yelling at him. As Nala listened to their conversation, she found out that they were to be executed in an hour.

        The princess was having a mental debate about whether or not she should tell the general's men who she is, which would lead to her returning to her mother and having to face her overprotective nature, or she could attempt to escape, with only a small chance of succeeding. She didn't know what she would even say to her mother if they brought her back.

        Nala was starting to doubt her escape plan when the horse thief was shot down with arrows because he ran. This day is going down the hill very quickly. There were only a few people left at the block and she was scared out of her mind. That was when the dragon showed up.