its a oneshot there's only one part

[this is the first fanfic ive written pls be nice. bold capital text is awstens texts, italic bold text is mystery mans texts]

Awsten giggled as he looked over the message.

HEEEEEEEY NUMBER NEIGHBOUR ;)

He'd taken matters into his own hands on this whole "finding people" issue and decided to text all the numbers the same as his, but with a different last digit. So far, eight out of the nine hadn't replied, or had made it very clear they had no wishes to talk to a stranger. This was the last text he'd send like this, so he really hoped something came of it. He pressed send, and almost instantly got a reply.

erm what? who is this?

WASSUP DUDE I HAVE THE PHONE NUMBER THAT'S JUST LIKE YOURS BUT WITH A DIFFERENT LAST NUMBER HOW Y'ALL FEEL?????

The almost-white-haired boy smirked, realising his outspoken manner was potentially off putting, maybe even alarming, but at this point he didn't really care. Rolling over on his bed, Awsten gathered a pillow under his chin so it wasn't such a strain to look at his phone. He sipped orange juice from a nearby cup with a lid and a straw, one of those mason jar things that are oh-so-cool now. The other person still hadn't replied, despite having initially responded in seconds. What did they do, text back then throw their phone in the fucking Atlantic? He started scrolling through twitter as a distraction from all the things he actually had to do and could be doing while he waited for the reply that had just come through.

thats pretty cool i guess? sorry, i dont mean to sound rude but why are you texting me? do you want something from me?

Put like that it did sound pretty shady.

NAAAAAH DUDE, ALL I WANT FROM YOU IS UR FRIENDSHIP. NAME'S AWSTEN KNIGHT (REAL I SWEAR), WHATS YOURS?

So far this encounter was going waaaay better than any of the others. Mystery person hadn't told him to fuck off. Yet.

my names patty walters. real too, scouts honour.

Now, don't get me wrong, Awsten had certainly gotten to people before. Otto, Geoff, Jawn, Travis were some his personal favourites (outside his family of course) but it would be cool to have more people. More people to play with, more ways to play. Awsten realised it was his turn to say something when he got a single questioning ? from Patty, and tapped out a simple sentence.

SO WHERE YOU FROM, ANYWAYS???

Knowing Awsten's luck, this dude would be from Minnesota or somewhere dumb like that. Like he could totally drive to Minnesota if this dude was in Minnesota but he'd rather not have to worry about being stopped by the police or something. The Minnesotan police.

im from minnesota

Fuck.

but i actually just moved to texas, been here about a month now

Fuck! This dude might actually live near Awsten! He prayed to god Patty didn't live across the state.

DUDE ME TOO. I MEAN THE LIVING IN TEXAS PART. IM IN HOUSTON WHERE ARE YOU?????? IT'D BE SO COOL IF WE LIKE MET OR SOMETHING

The day was only getting better and better. This Patty Walters had no idea what was coming.

im in houston too

Days, then weeks went by; and the boys only grew closer. Almost four weeks after Awsten first texted Patty, it finally felt right. So he asked.

HEY DUDE. WANNA MEET UP?

Unlike previously, Patty didn't reply immediately, so Awsten set his phone down on the coffee table, heading to the kitchen to make a sandwich or something. There wasn't much in the fridge. Pasta maybe? It would have to do. No sauce though. Cheese would suffice. His phone went off from the other room, and he went to get it while the water was boiling.

hey, sorry i didn't reply, i was busy with some friends. yeah that'd be really cool! have any place in mind?

STARBUCKS?????? I HAVE A TON OF NEW VIDEO GAMES I WANNA PLAY WITH SOMEONE TOO

Patty agreed, and they figured sooner rather than later, so decided to meet the next day. Awsten would have a bit of tidying and cleaning and sharpening to do before then, but nothing he couldn't handle.

The next day, before he left, Awsten made sure to leave the cellar unlocked so it would be easier to get the other boy down there quickly. On the way out, Awsten tucked a pretty butterfly knife into his pocket, just in case. It was a shame, he was really starting to like Patty. Oh well. All good things must come to an end.