Fate

Movie Quote: "There is such a thing as fate, but it can only take you so far. Then it's up to you to make it happen." ~ The Angel from Can't Hardly Wait

A/N: Sirius is...out of character. And I apologize for this

(Y/N) = Your Name
(E/C) = Eye Color
(H/C) = Hair Color

——————–

"I don't know what I'm going to do, Prongs."
The Springtime sun beat down on Sirius as he paced slowly in front of James, fiddling with his hands.
"About what exactly?" James asked, half-glancing at his distraught friend, keeping most of his attention on the golden snitch he was tossing around.
"Is this about (Y/N) again?"
Sirius stopped his pacing abruptly, swinging his head around to face his friend leaning up against the Birch tree, making his long, dark hair fly around as well.
"Is it that obvious?" Sirius gave James a half smirk, then went over to lean against the tree as well.
"How many times have I told you, Pads?" James began, "You have literally nothing to worry about. You're Sirius Black! You could have your pick of anyone at Hogwarts and they'd go for you in seconds."
"Yeah, yeah, I know Prongs....it's just....(Y/N) is different. I've never felt this way about anyone before. I don't want to screw anything up." Sirius looked up into the tree as the cool breeze rustled through the leaves. James smiled then shifted his position slightly to look directly at Sirius, looking forlornly into the leaves.
"Why wouldn't the usual Sirius Black approved methods work this time?" James smirked, knowing full-well the monologue that was to come, but he thrived on seeing the notorious womanizing Black become twitterpated over his long-time crush.

"Prongs I just can't do that. (Y/N) is the only girl I've ever liked that I never just wanted to get in bed with. I mean.....I enjoy watching her read. How dull is that?"
"Mhm, yes, go on," James nodded, still smiling, urging Sirius to continue.
"Even the first time I saw her. You remember, Prongs, on the train first year? She was the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. With her luscious (H/C) hair and her dreamy (E/C) eyes. I've felt like all I wanted to do was hold her close and protect her...do you know what I mean?"
James closed his eyes and nodded his head, "I do know the feeling quite well actually if you haven't forgotten about Lily?"
Sirius laughed sheepishly, "Right, sorry Prongs.....it feels kind of like.....fate."
James gave Sirius a puzzled look. He hadn't heard this one yet, and wasn't sure where is friend was going with his thoughts. Sirius noticed his friend's confusion and started to explain.
"Well...it's just that she was sorted into Gryffindor as well and she was seated next to me in ALL of our classes the past years. When we go to the Three Broomsticks she always comes in at the same time as us and orders the same thing as me. A butterbeer with a shot of firewhiskey cause "it gives it an extra 'kick'". She's always wanting to go down to the kitchens for food in the middle of the night, like me. Hell Prongs, she even sits in the chair in the common room like I do. All cockeyed with her legs crossed over the arm. She's always there.....it just seems like it was meant to be...."
James was at a loss for words. Where did this Sirius come from?
"Uh...Pads? Why haven't you talked to her?" James asked, sitting Sirius down on the ground with him.
"I...just don't know what to say. I've only ever really approached girls flirtatiously and I don't want to come across that way this time. She reads books for Merlin's sake, Prongs. BOOKS. For all I know, she probably likes Moony and I'm just hallucinating about all the things we have in common. Fate. Who am I kidding? If fate did exist and it was fated that I should be with (Y/N) we'd already be together. I'm such an idiot." Sirius sighed and looked out into the courtyard, watching all the other students walking by on their day off.
"No, Sirius. Listen to me," James started. Sirius turned his head slowly to look at his friend's earnest face, amazed that he used his real name.
"There is such a thing as fate, Sirius, but it only takes you so far. Then it's up to you to make it happen. Do you understand?"
Sirius stumbled over his words confusedly before getting something out, "m-may-might haaaaave?"
James rolled his eyes and let out an exasperated sigh, "Look, Sirius. I do believe in fate. Why do you think I was so adamant about being with Lily? I knew we were meant to be together even if she didn't know it at first. Fate gave me all the chances I needed, but I had to take them and do something with it. And it worked! Now Sirius, I know you aren't experienced with normal approaches, but I think you need to go with what you feel deep down you need to say. For Merlin's sake you're a sixth year, Padfoot, you shouldn't be afraid to talk to your girl!" James finished with a huff, then crossed his arms and glared at Sirius. "Now are you going after her or what?"
Sirius's face turned from shock to determination with a smile and wide eyes.
"Yeah! I'm going to get my girl! Thanks Prongs!" Sirius jumped up then began sprinting towards to castle to find (Y/N), long hair being tossed behind him.
"I better see you two in the common room together later!" James called out before continuing to toss his snitch.

—————–

Sirius burst through the library doors, sure that he'd find (Y/N) there, and low and behold he was correct. With no subtlety, Sirius glided over to the table she was sitting at and just started to talk.
"(Y/N), I know we hardly ever talk and you probably don't even like me, but I just needed to tell you that I think you are wonderful in every way and ever since I saw you take your seat next to my friends and I first year, I've only ever felt like I wanted to be with you forever. I've never felt that way about anyone and I've only ever put this off because I didn't know how to approach you in a non flirtatious way, and I know this is sudden but I would love for you to go out with me sometime because I feel truly that we were meant to be together and I don't want to lose that chance." Sirius finished and started to breath heavily to catch his breath, his pounding heart not aiding the situation.
(Y/N) had looked up to watch the dark haired boy speak, and when he was finally done, all she could do was turn the corners of her agape mouth into a sweet smile.
"I...didn't know you felt that way, Sirius." She said quietly, in order to remind him that they were in a library.
"Frankly, I'm quite flattered about what you think. And I would absolutely love to go out with you sometime!"
He breathed a sigh of relief, then stuck out his arm for (Y/N) to take.
Sirius cocked his eyebrow, "Would you come with me back to the common room?.....To sit by the fire of course! Not anything sexual!" Sirius quickly added the last bit, realizing he could very well be taken the wrong way. He had come this far, he couldn't screw it up now.
(Y/N) giggled a little, then took Sirius's arm and whispered into his ear, "How's about you buy me a butterbeer first, eh?" (Y/N) pecked his cheek, then saw that he had a slight blush graze his face.
"Absolutely, love!" Sirius smirked, then escorted the two of them out of the library and towards Hogsmeade.