Clove's Story- Chapter One

Cato and I decided that we were going to volunteer. There wasn't a better way to honor District 2. Ever since Dad died, mother abused me physically every day. If I won the Hunger Games, I could become rich, have a family of my own, and never see my wretched mother again. So when the lady stuck her bony, pale fingers into the bowl, pulled out, and read a name that I didn't recognize, I jumped up and shouted, "I volunteer as tribute!" I slowly walked up to the stage. There were two silver chairs waiting for the two tributes to sit on. One said "Female Tribute" on it. It looked a little different from the Male Tribute chair, for some odd reason. "Ah... Mrs. Sevina. I've been expecting you." the lady said. I was just wondering how she knew my name when I saw something in her face that made me stumble back in surprise. I scraped my leg against the Female Tribute chair. A searing pain spread across my leg. If I didn't know better, I'd say the chair was made out of knife blades. I knew that woman. Her name was Megan Scorn. I was so caught up in my thoughts that when I was back in focus, Cato was up on the stage with me. "May I present to you... The tributes of District 2!" Scorn squealed. Everyone clapped and cheered. Scorn forced Cato and I into our seats. Cato's seat seemed normal. I was in so much pain, sitting on my chair, that I thought I would die right on the spot.I was positive the chair was made out of knife blades. But I couldn't let the audience see that. The weaker I seemed, the less sponsers I would get. When everyone was gone, Scorn lead us each to a seperate room for visitors to come and bid me farewell. My only visitor was Scorn, herself. "How did you know I was going to volunteer?" I asked, boldy. Her snake-like eyes were terrifying. "I know things that you don't, Mrs. Sevina. And it's my job to make sure that you never come back out of the arena." At that moment, the pain in my leg hurt so much, that I crumpled to the ground. I knew that woman too well. If she wanted me to die, I was going to die. Because that wasn't just any woman. That was the woman who killed my father.