The Story of Adam

The First Human

So begins the story of the first human being. God created Adam from a handful of soil containing portions from all its varieties on Earth.

‘’… God sent the Angel of Death, and the land sought refuge in God, the angel said: I also seek refuge with God from returning without carrying out His command.  So he took clay from the face of the earth and mixed it. He did not take from one particular place, but rather he took white, red, and black clay from different places.’’                                                            
The descendants of Adam were destined to be as diverse as the handful of soil from which their ancestor was created; all have different appearances, attributes and qualities.

‘’Indeed God Most High created Adam from a handful that He took from all of the earth. So the Children of Adam come in according with the earth, some of them come red, and white and black, and between that, and the thin, the thick, the filthy, and the clean.’’                        

‘’ God created Adam in His picture, sixty cubits (about 30 meters) in height…’’           

God created Adam in His image. This does not mean that Adam was created to look similar to God, as God is unique in all His aspects, we are unable to comprehend or form an image of Him. However, it means that Adam was given some qualities which also God has, although incomparable.  He was given qualities of mercy, love, free will, and others.

‘’And indeed, I created man from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud.’’ 
(Qur’an 15:26)

Which means God soaked the clay till it became sticky. His soulless body was left to dry, and it became what is known as sounding clay. Adam was molded from something akin to potter's clay.  When it is rapped it produces a ringing sound. Then God says to the Angels,

‘...So when I have fashioned him and breathed into him (his) soul created by Me, then you fall down prostrate to him.’’                             (Qur’an 38:71-72)

‘’ God breathed the soul into him, then he sneezed…’’                                    

The Angels said:  Alhamdulillah (all praise belongs to God).                                                               

‘’…and (Adam) said: Alhamdulillah (All praise belongs to God).’ So he praised God by His permission. Then His Lord said to him: ‘’May God have mercy upon you O Adam…’’                                                                                      
‘’And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became living soul.’’ (Genesis 2:7)

‘’The Best Day that the sun has risen upon is Friday. On it Adam was created, on it he entered Paradise, and on it, he was expelled from it. And the Hour will not be established except on Friday.’’               
                                                                                                                                                                                                    And When Adam was created the Angels have prostrated themselves except Iblis

‘’The Angels prostrated themselves all of them together. Except Iblis, he refused to be among the prostrators.’ 
(Qur’an 15:31-32)

While worship is reserved for God Alone, this prostration by the Angels to Adam was a sign of respect and honor. Adam saw all the angels prostrating before him except one being who was standing at a distance. Adam did not know what kind of creature it was that did not prostrate before him nor did he know its name.

‘’O Iblis! What is your reason for not being among the prostrator?’’ Iblis said: ‘‘I am not the one to prostrate myself to a human being, whom You created from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud.’’  Allah said: ‘Then get out from here for verily you are Rajim (an outcast or cursed one). Verily the curse shall be upon you till Day of Recompense (Day of Resurrection).’’        
                                          (Qur’an 15:28-35)

God knew that Iblis was not going to obey Him in prostrating before Adam. God could have totally annihilated him or turned him into a handful of dust or stifled the refusal in his mouth. Yet, God gives commissioned creatures absolute freedom even to the extent that they can refuse God the Almighty commands. He Grants them freedom of denial, disobedience and even disagreement with Him. His kingdom will not diminish if the disbelievers do not believe in Him nor will it be extended if many people believe in Him. On the contrary, the disbelievers will lose, and the believers will gain but God is above all of that. Adam seeing all of this and God ordered Adam to meet those angels who were gathering.

‘…God said to him: ‘’Go and Greet that company of angels who are sitting there- and then listen to what they are going to say in reply to your greetings because that will be your greeting and your offspring’s.’’

Adam said to the angels: ‘Salam Alaikum (Peace be unto you).’  They replied: Salam Alaikum wa Rahmatullah (Peace be unto you, and Mercy of God be upon you).’…’                                                      

Adam’s Progeny Accept God

God brought forth Adam’s Children before they were to be born. They were called into existence and it was called the Pre-existence. They were make to be present and as a witness.

‘’When God created Adam He wiped his back and every person that He created among his offspring until the Day of Resurrection fell out of his back…’’                              

‘’Then God said to him (While His Two Hands were closed) ‘’Choose which of them you wish.’’
Adam said: ‘’I chose the right of My Lord and both Hands of my Lord are right, blessed.’
Then He extended it, and there was Adam’s offspring in it. Each one of them had his age written between his eyes…’’                                                                                                                                                                                     
‘’He placed a ray of light between the eyes of every person. Then He showed them to Adam and he said: ‘O Lord! Who are these people?’ He said: ‘These are your offspring.’ He saw one of them whose ray between his eyes amazed him, so he said: ‘O Lord! Who is this?’ He said: ‘This is a man from the latter nations of your offspring called David.’ He said: ‘Lord! How long did You make his lifespan?’ He said: ‘Sixty Years’ He said: ‘O Lord Add forty years from my life to his…’’ 

‘’… God said: ‘’So you shall have it.’’ 

‘’Remember when your Lord brought forth from the children of Adam, from their loins, their seed (or from Adam’s loin his offspring) and made them testify as to themselves saying: ‘Am I not your Lord?’
They said: ‘Yes! We testify’ Lest you should say on the Day of resurrection: ‘Verily! We have been unaware of this.’ Or lest you should say: ‘It was only our father aforetime who took others as partner in worship along with Allah and we were merely their descendants after them; will you then destroy us because of the deeds of men who practiced polytheism and committing crimes and sins, invoking and worshipping other besides Allah?’
Thus do We explain the Ayah (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs and revelations, etc.) in detail so that they may turn unto the truth." (Qur’an 7:172-174)