Chapter 1

Briana looked around the stunning six-star suite with its glorious view over the ocean, and sighed deeply.

Her assistant sprang into action. Connie scurried around the room, panicked, looking for whatever had offended her boss. 'Oh no, Briana—what's wrong? Don't you like the room?'

Even if she didn't have a silent persona to maintain, Briana still wouldn't have the words to explain her mixed feelings about the suite. What a very pretty prison ... With a shrug, she lowered herself into a chaise lounge, folding her limbs in to protectively, as if her tanned arms could shield her from the internal pain roiling in her gut.

Meanwhile, Connie twisted her hands anxiously. 'I can see if there's another room? I mean, this is meant to be the best, they're all the best, but maybe there's something better?'

There wasn't anything wrong with the beautiful bungalow, except Briana wasn't there by choice. No matter how elegant the aqua and white décor, or how soothing the sound of the sea outside the wide balcony, this place was a jail. A luxury jail, but still.

But it wasn't Connie's fault she was there, so Briana waved both hands at her assistant, letting her know it was fine.

Connie swallowed, and began to uneasily explain. 'I thought you'd really love it here. Everyone has been talking this place up; it's the Taj Mahal of island retreats. Incredible suites, beach views, private pool, outdoor bathrooms, an activities center... And the staff are meant to be the most amazing part. You have your own butler and chef on call, plus the day spa staff will come to you. Hair, nails, massage, whatever you like. Or you can have treatments done on the beach. That sounds nice, right?' Connie fluttered to the windows, adjusting the sheer curtains to meet. It was something Briana noticed Connie did no matter where they were, and without having to question her assistant, Briana knew it was to give her more privacy from the unrelenting public eye.

Briana internally thanked the other girl for the small kindness, hoping Connie sensed her gratitude somehow. Every day since she was seventeen, Briana had used silence not only as part of her mystique, but as a defense—and occasionally a weapon. Still, there were times when it worked against her.

Connie turned back towards Briana with a nervous smile. 'So, I think you're going to be all set here. Is it okay if I go now?'

With a nod, Briana waved off the other woman.

Connie smiled widely, reaching for her suitcase. 'Awesome! Well, have fun! I'll be back in two weeks, okay?'

Briana snapped upright, her eyes locking on Connie. What?

Connie blushed so pink, her skin looked like watermelon flesh. 'Remember, I asked you a few days ago? About ... g-going home?'

I don't remember that. Briana rose in suspicion.

'It was just after ...' Hesitantly, Connie spoke. 'It was the day after The Evening Show stuff. I'm sorry, I know there was a lot going on, but I told you about my parents' thirtieth anniversary party, and I'd need to be at home for a few weeks, and since you are going to be here anyway and you won't really need me ...'

But I do need you. Briana swallowed down her rising despair. She might have been banished to this godforsaken green dot in the middle of the Caribbean, but she'd planned on having Connie there to keep her company with her endless chatter. The two women were both twenty-five, and although Briana had never said it, she considered Connie a friend—or at least the closest thing to a friend she had these days. She'd been entertaining vague notions of the two of them having mud baths and snorkeling, and whatever else people did when they were supposed to be on vacation.