Ash

I walked down our block to our house. It was nothing much and had a huge backyard with plants a pool because my dad likes pools. To be home and to relax would be great especially after an ever-difficult day of school. Out of ten I give it a three for the bullies and the excessive amount of work. Being an honor student, the last part was no surprise.
I turned around to go to my house and it was surrounded by police officers and worst of all, my mother was being dragged out of it. She shrieked in terror. We had been discovered and were to be killed with the rest of the dragons that the government was hunting down.
Yeah, I said dragons.
I'm a dragon, my mom is and my dad was. You may not realize it, but we are almost everywhere. The last living are the shapeshifters, my type. I'm almost just like you. I go to school, have friends, eat pizza, read books and I even have a name, Ashley, but my friends call me Ash.
My mother is a fire dragon, like me and my dad was a water one before they took him away not even a year ago. I'm due to have a younger sibling soon, but the egg hasn't hatched yet.
My mother looked at me with her red hot eyes. "Get the egg!" she growled. She transformed into a massive dragon, her true form, and with one deep breath she had set one of the fancy cars on fire. I dove into a bush.
I crawled through the overgrown hedge silently so I wouldn't be noticed and changed into a small red bird. In the new form, I flew into the backyard, changed into a human to open the back door and then into a small reddish-brown dog. I wagged my little tail at the agents. "Guess that little girl's gonna go to the shelter." one remarked.
"Sad too," another responded, "The creatures probably had her for a good cover." It's a good thing they didn't know that we can't just be human or dragon.
I slipped into the pantry and pulled a bulging grocery store bag from an overflowing cabinet with my teeth. Then I strutted right into the hatchery where the blue egg lay in a tub of cool water. I turned back into a human, grateful that no one bothered to search this closet where the egg lay behind a wall of coats and snatched up the egg, putting it in the bag. I burst out of the closet and the agents' heads snapped toward me.
"It's one of those dragons!"
"Get it!"
They rushed toward me, but I kicked a nearby window, taking it out and jumped out. I landed on the soft grass making sure the egg was not cracked. Then I ran for the hills, the agents bursting through the back door.
What's red, breathes fire and has scales all over? My true form and I let those officers see it. I growled at them and revealed my twelve foot wingspan to make myself look bigger. We dragons are a lot smaller than we used to be. They pulled out their guns, threatening to shoot me down like a bear, a really big, red and scaly bear. One of them pulled out a walkie.
"I repeat, I repeat there's another one and an egg. Send backup. over."
I roared and charged toward a clearing of grass knocking down my rotting swing set on the way. I took off with the plastic bag between my teeth.
I soared over my house, neighborhood and town. It felt good to be in the air again, to stretch my wings. I haven't flown in at least three years when we moved here. My family and I were constantly on the the run from the FBI. One day my dad went to work and, well, I don't like to talk about it. They had found us and we could never go back.
I soared a little higher, into the clouds to hide my shining red body. The air tasted fresh on my tongue and I just felt free. I remembered how when we had arrived here that I had been told not the shape-shift, not to fly and definitely not to tell anyone about who we really are. The same thing that had happened twice before happened again. My parents got jobs and a house and I went to a new school. This time I knew there would be no house or school.
I may not even see my mom again.
I flew on and on leaving my town and found a rural area. I landing in a clearing at a small farm somewhere in Virginia, I had entered a new state that was not far from my old home in Delaware. I gently put the egg down and my jaw ached from carrying it for so long. I had to redirect myself East, that is where the egg and I would be safe. The Himalayas are dragon territory.
I changed back into a human and hauled the heavy egg over to a nearby barn. I opened it up and set the egg down in a pile of straw. Exited then looked around for something to eat. My eyes spotted red. Tomatoes. Yuck. But food is food and I needed to eat, so I took off my sweatshirt and filled it with the red fruit.
I sat down in the pile next to the egg. It would need water to live and I would have to find it some. I ate the vile fruit I had collected and when I was done I brushed the red juice off of my clothes. Then I curled up and fell asleep.
Hours later I was poked and woke with a start, not enjoying being woken up. A girl stood a few feet away from me with a big stick in her hand. I looked at myself. Dang it! I was a dragon and possibly the worst shapeshifter ever. Her eyes widened in fear.
I quickly changed into a human. "Who are you?" I calmly asked her.
"J-Jackie."
"Cool name! I'm Ash as in what you will be if you tell anyone what you just saw."
"Please don't hurt me."
"Nah, don't worry about it. You're lucky I'm not another dragon or you'd be dead already."
"Yeah. Ha ha."
"No really I'm cool," I said even though I wasn't.
"You're a dragon, but human?"
"Yeah, the shapeshifters are the last dragons left and for a good reason. So, you got anything to eat?"
"Sure. I can get something. I was just doing my chores when I came in here and I can sneak something from my house." Her eyes wandered a bit. "Is that an egg?"
"Oh, that, yeah. Just don't worry about it." She got the food and we ate. I told her my story.
"Wow. Sounds pretty tough."
"Yeah, the government thinks we're dangerous. Something that smart with that much power, but there really isn't much of a difference between us." I looked down at my water and remembered. The egg needed it. I tossed the water on the egg.
After the meal I said goodbye and transformed as I leaped into the air. I sailed to the tip of Virginia to a beach for a break. The next stop would be Europe!
I was hanging out on the beach with my shoes off. The water tickled my feet. I would not be able to breathe fire, but it felt great. I grasped the egg and it was touched by the waves too. It needed water.
Then I saw them, agents. They drove up to me on an atv. I was in the air again before they could catch me.
The trip lagged on and I poured on the most speed I could. I made it to London by dawn. Of course to be seen by some kid.
"Hallo. Don't hurt me Mr. Dragon."
Why did people keep thinking I would hurt them? The only humans I'd even want to kill would be those FBI agents. Then that kid started peppering me with questions. I just left.
Rain poured from overhead, giving the egg much needed water. I flew until I nearly collapsed in Germany, where I dumpster-dived for food and dipped the egg in a fountain. Gosh, those Germans are real neat freaks! Even the alley I slept in was clean!
I continued on making pit stops every few countries. It was much different from America that seemed to last forever. In Europe in just two hours you could pass a country. I stopped in Romania, Turkey and Iran, I was heading east.
I finally touched down in northern India, not far from the Himalayas. I rested up. My stomach growled loudly and the egg seemed a little dry. I just hoped that the little dragon inside was still alive. The next day I flew into the mountains and collapsed after an hour of endless snow capped peaks.
I awoke in a cave with a large red figure hovering over me. The cave was adorned with jewels and I was lying in a nest. The egg was soaking in a small drinking area and noises were coming from it.
"It's almost time for it to hatch," the dragon growled, "luckily we found it before it died." I stood up and walked to the egg. A spiderweb of cracks appeared and soon there were more. They encased almost half the shell. A small feathered and blue muzzle poked out and the rest of the egg shattered the dragonet had spread it's wet wings to break it open. I lifted the shell out of the water with care and the dragonet soaked itself in the water. "What will his name be," I was asked.
"Fen, that will be his name."
The little guy looked up at me and sneezed.