Prologue - Dying

All she could remember of the before as the howling of the wind (music to my ears), the yelling (frantic screaming) of her father, the cold spray of the water (felt like fingers trying to drag me under), the flashes of lightening in the sky (the only light they had) (the clouds were blocking the sun) (they couldn't tell what time it was anymore), and the sight of the sea (the sea I love and despise all at once) swallowing their boat (the screams of the crew would haunt her for the rest of her life).

She remembered how the sea had been gentle and cruel to her as it killed her.

(my father was trying to swim to me) (I was trying to swim to my father) (I could see tentacles of pure water wrapped around my father's waist and legs, keeping him from reaching me) (arms made of water were curled around my waist, keeping me from her father) (fingers rubbing circles into my back, trying to calm me)

How the sea had stolen her air and made her numb to the pain. How as the darkness corroded at her vision, she heard the beautiful and frightening song of sirens.

(how can something so... horrifying be so beautiful at the same time?...) (my father was dead, but his eyes were trained on me, horror and despair and love in his eyes as we watched each other die) (the arms made of water cradled me as I stopped fighting, the fingers moving to play with my hair and massage frozen muscles)

And then there was light. She opened her eyes to look at the world that was but a blur to her, wondering what was going on. (I was dead wasn't I?) She heard cooing as her small (new) body was gently and skillful moved so that her head was rested on a rapidly cooling body, and she started to cry softly for her new and soon to be deceased mother. (how did I know that the woman was dying?)

There was another coo at her sadness, this time with words. "Such a smart baby, to know that your carrier has died." A musical voice spoke as moist arms picked her up and cradled her in a cold embrace. (why did I not mind the cold?) "She knew that she was going to have to give up her life for yours, small one." The voice went on, "And she told me your name." She looked up at the blurry face, waiting. (what is my new name?) (do I have a father?) (the voice sounds feminine) A musical giggle left the cold woman. "Your name, little spring, is Procella Àgrios Aimsir."

(I could hear a distant scream of despair) (relief flooded my mind) (why am I so relieved?)

((Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter.))