Chapter One - Confused

Justin's POV

"I don't know, Justin, I'm just not buying it." Alex said in a matter-of-fact tone, hitting my shoulder as we walked to school. I shook my head, adjusting my backpack straps. "Well it's true, Alex."

As we rounded the corner and walked through the courtyard, I began outright ignoring the blonde idiot beside me. "I cannot believe the Justin Andrews has never locked lips with another boy. It's ridiculous! You're gorgeous, any guy would be lucky to have you." Alex said, sarcasm turning to sincerity.

"Agreed." Slipped in a voice from my right. I didn't have to turn to know it was Noah, basically the only other kid I ever talked to at this school. I ran a hand through my hair. "I don't know, have either of you ever considered I don't like boys?"

Alex snickered at that, while Noah just rolled his eyes. "I don't know, Justin, you seemed pretty intent on kissing me our freshman year..." I smacked him hard on the back of his neck, my face heating up as he just giggled under his breath. "It was seven minutes in heaven! What'd you want me to do, just stare at you like a fuckin creep?" The contrast between my spiteful tone and wicked smile were very obvious, but he just shrugged in response.

"I mean, the kissing was fair game but I think taking off my shirt was a bit unnecessary." Noah starting laughing midsentence, and took off before I could even reach him to smack him again, eventually letting out a breathless yell. "Dick!" He turned around from the doors and cupped his hands around his mouth like some type of megaphone, yelling one more thing before ducking inside.

"You are what you eat, Justin!"

Both Alex and I rolled our eyes at how childish he could be, though I stopped in my tracks as I heard a whistle from somewhere on our left. "Damn, Lively, you're looking damn fine today." A familiar and unwanted voice drawled out.

Before I had the chance to do something incredibly stupid on my honorary sister's behalf that would inevitably land me in the nurse's office, she already had a remark on the tip of her tongue. "Wow, Rodriguez, wish I could say the same to you. Looking unnaturally greasy today, are we?"

"Screw you." He snarled, his lack of a real response obviously turning his mood sour. "Oh, I know you've been trying to. Maybe we can talk after you wash your hair. Bye!" She turned and walked away then, Anthony Rodriguez glaring at me instead. I simply narrowed my eyes and gave him the finger, walking away.

"Boys are stupid." I said, catching back up with Alex. She chuckled, shaking her head. "Does that include you?" I gave her a pointed look, nodding vigorously to further my point. "Very much so."

We walked through the doors as we did everyday, scanning the halls for the familiar mop of brown hair and the astoundingly pink backpack we'd somehow managed to lose. I didn't find the exact pink I was looking for, considering I got too distracted by the pink sneakers just a few feet away from me. The shoes themselves weren't any interesting feat, no, I was more intrigued by the person wearing them.

I let my eyes slowly trail up the body that the footwear belonged to, finally falling onto the soft hazel eyes of none other than Connor Hathaway, the crinkles appearing by his eyes as he smiled. I caught a snippet of the conversation he was in the middle of. "What, pink isn't manly enough for you? Me and my pink shoes are gonna kick your ass in practice later."

He laughed then, his head thrown back as he stumbled a bit, grabbing onto his friends' arm to keep him upright. Hathaway stood upright after that, tiny giggles still occasionally leaving his slightly parted lips. Then, something absolutely world stopping happened. We locked eyes, and he gave me the softest and probably shyest smile I've ever seen from him.