White and red

I am icy cold… always. I’m as pale as white chocolate. I have fangs which are sharper than the blade of a sword. I never sleep, I never eat. Yes I am a vampire and this is my story.

I was born January 8th 1885 in England, I’m not sure what town but my biological mother died giving birth to me and my father had been shot not much more than a week before my birth, or so they tell me. So I lived in the orphanage until I was 6 when I was moved to a work house. I still remember how cold it got there in winter, and stiflingly hot in summer. When I was twelve I got sold to a man named Mr Ringo who ran a circus. He wanted me to join the acrobats, but I was so uncoordinated that I didn’t last a week until I was sold again to a small bakery on the outskirts of London. For the first time in my life I was actually happy, I loved it there, the sweet smell of baking, the friendly staff, and the good looking delivery boy. I stayed there until I was sixteen when Mrs Grace who was the manager told me that it was time I went out and got married. So I left. Just like that.

 I walked for several miles when I realized the probability that I was going to find myself a husband from just walking around was unlikely. Then, like it was fate I came across a fortune teller’s caravan. I knocked on the door and went inside. It was very musty smelling and dark. The only light source was a single candle sitting in the middle of the round, glass table. The fortune teller sat down and took my palm. She looked at me with her large brown eyes and said to me. “My dear, I see no husband and no children in your future. Only a short dark life.” She put my hands on a crystal ball and she peered at it. “funny… when I try and look into your distant future all I see is black then red… black means death and red means… red means blood.” I looked at her, puzzled. “It was a mistake coming here.” I muttered under my breath. I walked over to the door and left. Once outside I started running, heading for the nearest town. She was wrong, I decided.

The sun began to set; night was on its way. My brain refused my body to go into the inn psychologically I couldn’t stand for people to see tears rushing down my face. So I just started wandering aimlessly around the street. That was when I noticed him. A man, unlike any I had ever seen before. His skin was deathly white except for dark circles around his eyes; it looked like he hadn’t slept in weeks. His body was completely still, I couldn’t even see him breathing. He opened his mouth ever so slightly, like he was going to say something. No words came out, but I noticed that two pointy… fangs; sat on his bottom lip. Then, before I knew what was happening I was knocked on the ground in what felt like no time at all. He was kneeling over me; he moved his head down towards my neck and bit. The pain was indescribable all I remember before the pain took over me was a voice screaming “VAMPIRE!” the man releasing his teeth from my neck and running away, leaving me twitching in agony in the middle of the street.

I awoke a few days later. It was pitch black. As I tried to sit up I banged my head on something quite hard. I placed my hands on either side to find hard walls only a few centimetres away. Was I in a box I wondered? And then it struck me. I was in a coffin. I was dead.