This Little Letter

This Little Letter

I hold in my hand a letter. Not just any letter... This was a letter from my best friend. She died a few years ago. She never told anyone that she had a serious heart disease. Not even me. She told me to read this letter that was hidden under her bed after she died but I was too depressed to read it after she did.

Then, two years went by and I finally had the courage to read it. I would have read it a year before but I misplaced it. "I'm so sorry I had to read this letter late, Jenna." I said even though I knew she wouldn't hear me. She's in a better place and I had learn to accept that.

I took the letter and sat down at the edge of my bed. It's been two years since we had been together, Jenna. I miss you so much.

Dear Chloe,

How's your life? By the way, I knew you'd mess up and read this letter at two years late. I would say I'm good and healthy but... that would break your heart now, wouldn't it?

Yes, it would. It would break my heart so much.

Are you enjoying your life like you should, Clo? Well, I hope you are. I knew you better than anyone else would. Honestly, I'm sorry if you can't really understand any of my handwriting.

I can understand perfectly fine, Jenna. Don't worry about it.

I was paranoid. You know, in case I didn't get to finish this letter in time so I wrote it really quick. I know life has it's ups and downs but you have to move on and let me go. Forget about me.

For the past years, I tried. I really tried but I just can't.

I assure you, I'm in a better place.

I know you are.

Remember when you always said "If you love something or someone, you gotta let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours to keep but if it doesn't, then it never was yours in the first place."

I really do.

If your strong enough, I wrote our precious memories here. I'll bet you remember it all. You can stop reading if you want to.

Should I? Our precious memories. You wrote them here?

Even if you're not stopping, you know you can. At any time at all. I won't mind. Oh, remember that time when we had a picnic on top of a tree? Well, it's not actually a picnic, isn't it?

No. It wasn't. It was the first time we met.

You know... in first grade? If you look inside the box, there's a photo of us. My mom took it.

Just after that sentence, I walked over to the box that's on top of a table. My fingertips searched for the photo, in the box. I felt something paper-like brushed my fingers, I quickly took it out.

Surely enough, it was a picture of me and Jenna on a tree, sharing food and eating together. She was dressed in blue and so was I. It was our first day in kindergarten. She had her long red curly hair and blue eyes like I remember.

The letter was still in my hands and I continued reading it.

I arrange them in order so you wouldn't have a hard time. The second picture is us, when we were in middle school. I still have my red hair at that time.

I took the second picture in my hands. We were wearing matching outfits. A lot of people teased us but we hardly ever cared.

If you look a little closer, I had horrible hair!

She was always insecure of herself. I almost smiled. Almost.

By the way, remember Carter? The guy you still have a crush on since 15? Please tell me you're planning on thing him that.

Yeah, that's never gonna happen. Keep dreaming, Jenna.

If it helps, I think he likes you too.

That doesn't help at all.

Oh my God. I totally forgot about the sleepover we used to have and parties that we used to go to. Bad mistake to get drunk, I tell you that.

Anyway... still remember the friendship necklace?

I felt my left hand brushed against the necklace. I got half the heart and she got the other. My part says "Be" and "Fri".

By the way, still remember that witch, Tiana? God, I always hated that girl. Picture #3 is awesome isn't it?

I took a look at the picture and smiled. It was a picture of Tiana except with a mustache and a beard.

Anyways, forget her. I just want you to know that I had forgiven her. I mean, everyone deserves a second chance! Even a snotty bully like her.

Jenna, if you can hear me, I just want you to know that you're crazy.

I guess, all I'm trying to say is that when a person you love left you, you have to move on. Dry that tear and go on with your life. Now, I know it's hard but just remember...

I love you, Chl

My vision starts to become blurry. I knew I was crying that time. She didn't even get to finish her letter. If only, she had a few seconds to live, she would have finished writing this.

Jenna, I remember every single moments of our lives. I remember it all. I remember how we met, the times we spent together thinking best friends for ever and ever but it turn out we were wrong. Fate had stepped in and forced us into the most cruelest goodbye. BUT most of all, I remember you.

And I'll never forget, thanks to this little letter.