Chapter 1 ~ Little Rich Girl

I stare into the window of a store. Suits, gold figures shine the room. I stand outside with holes in my shirt and shoes. I turn to the clock to check the time. I still have a few minutes before catching the train. Taking a deep breath, I wipe the dust off my shirt and my quills. It's another horrible day in the city, yet I still smile to myself as I picture seeing Amy again. My smile fades as I see myself in the reflection of the mirror. I am nothing but a poor boy, loosing his mother and father due to illness. Sewing clothes for the rich, or in my case, the Rose family is not my only chance to survive. The trains steam flows in, I get ready to hope on board. I rest my head on the window, going past small figures that may be waving goodbye to loved ones who must work like myself. The train takes a sudden stop and I jump off the train with a small bag on my back. I walk all the way to the big house that sits on the top of a small hill, it is surrounded by trees, bushes and many garden beds.

"Welcome back, Mr Shadow." Cream says in her sweet voice. She shyly opens the door and places her finger on her lips. "Mr and Mrs Rose are in a bad mood... Just finish his jacket and try not to say anything that will provoke them." Cream warns me with a worried smile.

"I don't talk much anyway." I say softly. "Is Amy here today?" I ask. Cream giggles quietly and nods. Cream is Amy's housemaid, even though she's the same age. Cream is in the same boat as me, working for this family to survive. Cream, Amy and I are only fourteen, but children with no parents have no other choice but to be slaves for the rich men that give us no respect. I don't care what happens with me, I only live to make sure that the people around me are being treated fairly. Sadly, peace never lasts long, it only stays for a while to give us the happiness we weren't born with.

"Ah, Shadow. You join us once again. I have a few jobs for you to attend to. Many holes have appeared in my jacket. I'd like you to fix it quickly." Mr Rose says. I nod not saying a word. Mr Rose throws his jacket at me. I grunt silently as I start to patch the holes with my needle. I hear footsteps coming from upstairs, Amy suddenly appears coming down the stairs. I stare and loose sight of where I place my needle. I swear to myself softly as I fix my mistake. Amy approaches me with a sweet smile.

"I'm glad you're back, Shadow." She says.

"Amy. Table. Now." Her father huffs. Amy turns around and walks to the table where her mother awaits her.

"Amy, you're going to have to get this right. Lift the tea-cup with your elbow in the air and your pinkie up." Her mother orders. As Amy takes a few sips, I take the wooden cup that held my needles. I take the wool that had the needles stabbed into it and use the wooden bowl as  a make-belief cup. I make a funny face with slurping on my tea. This caused Amy to spit all the tea she had in her mouth onto her dress and onto the table. I covered my mouth, I here a deep growl coming from next to me.

"Amy Rose. Come here." Her Father demands Amy's smile quickly faded as she hung her head low and walked slowly towards her intimidating Father. "Is this how I raised you? Look at your dress."

"It's my fault, sir." I cut in. "I made her laugh."

"Well than you for your honesty." He says as he slaps me across the face. Amy gasps in fear, I hold my cheek as my eyes grow a deep red. Amy stares, trying to hold back the concern. "Go to your room, and you, Shadow, stay away from my daughter." He warned.

Hours passed, I made my way to the beach near the house and sat down watching the sun set. Light footsteps came toward me. Amy sits next to me with a guilty look, but I decide to not bring it up, so I wouldn't make her feel guilty.

"How'd you get out?" I ask. Amy turns her face to me with a sad smile.

"The window," She says. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine, it was my fault." I say with a reassuring smile. Amy's sweet smile that I love returned. "You know... I'm thinking of being rich when I grow up." I say. Amy turns her head to me.

"I think you'll be successful." Amy says. I search her eyes for doubt, but there's no point, I know fully well that Amy is not a liar. I love sharing thoughts, I love to hear her dreams. "Shadow... Father is sending me to an all girls school, until I graduate..." She admits. Both our expressions drop, I stare in shock. I don't want to loose you, I would say, but that's more difficult than I thought.

"You can't." I say instead. Amy shakes her head sadly.

"I have to..." Her eyes dim and get teary. I hold back as many emotions I could, yet I could not stay silent.

"I have many dreams. One of them is to be with you." I say in full honesty. Amy's eyes widen in surprise, but soon soften and giggle.

"That's my dream too." Amy says sweetly.

The sun rose once again, I pulled the blanket off my body and I rub my eyes as I make my way to looking at Cream getting ready for work once again. If either Cream or I were needed, we would have to sleep outside or in the dusty attic. Both of us prefer the attic, because it is at least warm enough to sleep and Amy sometimes visits us with her leftover dinner. I realise that there was shuffling downstairs. Cream and I both stared at each-other until the the front door slammed shut. I quickly drew the the curtains that showed the front of the house. A fancy carriage awaits outside the grand house, awaiting for Amy. My eyes widen in shock and disbelief. I finally lost myself and ran down the stairs, and burst through the front doors in time to see Amy trying to reach out to me. I was held back by other servants, including Cream as Amy got dragged into the carriage by her Father.

The clouds surrounded the house as the carriage hustles away. Rain poured in and servants backed into the house, all giving a depressed look to me who stayed on the ground. Cream hovered her umbrella over me and gives me a soft smile.

"She'll be back." She says reassuringly. I keep my head hanging low, Cream's reassuring words flew by me like flies.

My fingers dig into the soil as I think of ways to see her again. I give up, just giving into the plan of just writing to her. I was serious about what I told Amy, I had never felt anything for anyone else but her. I see Cream give a reassuring smile, her hand still on my shoulder and the umbrella still above me. I thank her and she lends me paper to start writing my first letter.