The Beginning

The screams woke her.

She sat up with a start, hurriedly pulling the blankets off her legs as her husband let out a groan. "Not again."

She cast a reproving look at him as she stood up. "Novah please, he can't help it." She then hurried into the room where her sons slept, and sat on the edge of her eldest's bed. "Hush, Alistair, it's just another nightmare." Her calm words and soothing voice did little to calm him.

He continued to cry out and hide his face in his hands, his small body shaking with a combination of fear and sobbing. "Go away! Please! No, no, no! The fire...the fire!"

She wrapped her arms around him and held him tightly as she gently rocked him back and forth. "Shhh, it's alright, mother's here, she's not going to let anything happen to you."

He calmed down slightly, his panicked state lessening to trembling and sniffles. "I-I'm scared."

"Don't be scared, darling. Just remember what I always tell you, as long as you stay strong and keep hope, nothing can break you."

He sniffed and rubbed the tears from his eyes. "I know..."

She brushed the black curls from his forehead and planted a kiss against his mocha skin. "Better?"

He nodded and leaned against her.

"Was it the same nightmare?"

He nodded.

"How long have you been having the same dream?"

"I don't know..."

"Do you want to tell me about it?"

He shook his head.

"Alright, do you want me to stay the rest of the night with you?"

He straightened up and wiped his face off. "No...I'll be fine."

She smiled and planted another kiss on his head. "My strong boy, Jai is lucky he has a big brother like you."

Alistair glanced over at where his infant brother lay, looking over at him with big curious eyes. "Sometimes I think Jai is stronger than I am...he never gets scared or cries when I have nightmares."

His mother stroked his hair. "He doesn't cry because he knows his big brother would never hurt him or let anything happen to him." She smiled. "Now try and go back to sleep, big day tomorrow."

He nodded and slipped back under the covers, his mother stayed with him for a few minutes, gently stroking his hair as she softly sang her lullaby.

"Darling, don't fear what lies in darkness, Do not fear for I'm right here.
They cannot harm or break you, if you just stay strong and hope.
I will never leave you, I'll always be by your side.

When the darkness comes to claim you, push it away with your light,
when there are demons to slay you, never give up, you must always fight.

You can overcome the odds,
gather the inner strength of gods,
And defeat all your fears and worries.

You'll be victorious if you just stay strong and keep hope."

When she finished singing, she smiled at her son's face, now peacefully sleeping, planted one final kiss against his cheek and quietly left the room.

"Another nightmare?" Novah asked as she slipped back into bed.

"Yes...I wonder why they plague him so."

Her husband wrapped his strong arms around her and pulled her close to him in a comforting embrace. "He is destined for greatness, and all great men suffer."