4.2 | e i g h t .

MAKAYLA WAS STARING down at a large, dusty copy of the Bible in her lap, but the words were all jumbled together

She hadn't flipped a page in several minutes.

Her head was spinning, her eyes beginning to sting from exhaustion as well as the traumatic events of the past twenty-four hours.

The voices in her mind had been nonstop ever since the angel had left her.

"Then tell me what else it could be."

Makayla tuned back into her brother's conversation as Dean's pacing boots clomped against the hardwood floor of Bobby's study.  Sam was sitting in a wooden chair in the corner opposite Makayla.

"Look, all I know is that I was not groped by an angel."

Makayla squinted her eyes at the surging hum that thrummed in her temples.  The words were all running together, and grew disturbingly louder than they had been before; Makayla wondered if the angels in her mind were alarmed at something.

"Look, Dean, would this Castiel lie to you?"

Dean pouted his lips like a child, and Makayla pinched the bridge of her nose between her fingers.

"Maybe he's some type of demon... demons lie."

"A demon who's immune to salt rounds and devil's traps... and Ruby's knife? Dean, Lilith is scared of that thing!"

"Both of you need to cool it.  Castiel isn't a demon.  And he didn't lie to you."

Makayla's scratchy, tired voice interrupted the brothers as their eyes flipped over to look at her.  She looked so small in the giant plush recliner she was lounging in, her eyes red and puffy.  Dean noticed the bags growing under her eyes.

"Yeah, and how do you know?"

Dean pressed, his frustration with the entire situation overiding the gentle tone of his voice.

The girl sighed, shifting the position of her legs.

"I just... I just do, okay?"

"Right.  Because you're fucking solpathic or whatever."

"It's called a Solpetha, asshat, and you're being a real douchebag right now."

Makayla snapped, a glare cutting into her gaze.

Truthfully, she didn't know what she was.  The angel had been obnoxiously vague in his explanations, and although he had promised to elucidate himself to her at a later time, she was eager for answers immediately.

It hardly seemed fair to keep her so in the dark if she was, in fact, an entirely different species of angel-whisperers.

Makayla flinched as Dean snapped his fingers in front of her face to pull her out of her stupor.