Chloe Channing

Candles are lit in the dark living room to provide for the thirty people forming a circle some light

Candles are lit in the dark living room to provide for the thirty people forming a circle some light. Whose idea it was to fill the house with alcohol and fire, drinks and candles, I didn't bother to ask.

"I've missed my high school days a little too much lately," Megan sings, the string of hair between her fingers twirling and twirling as she speaks. "Truth or dare I concluded."

You gotta be fucking kidding me.

"You are a literal child," some guy shouts, his dark laugh echoing.

"Come on," Connor defends his girlfriend, throwing both his hands up in her defense before he lets one fall around her shoulders. "It'll be fun."

Twenty five minutes later, Connor has still not been proven right.

"Scarlet," Megan declares my doom when the beer bottle spun lands on me, a few faces looking for the name they don't recognize. Avery's arm tightens around my waist. "Truth or dare babe?"

I'm not answering questions about the North.

"Dare," I respond, swallowing, my throat dry from the attention on me.

"I have one," Camila joins in, the candle a foot away from her giving me a clear view of the evil in her eyes. I sip my beer, waiting, bored.

"Shoot."

She smacks her lips.

"I want you...."

She looks around, the corner of her lip viciously lifting when she finds the dare she claimed to have. Pathetic. "I want you to kiss Jackson."

A literal... child.

The room goes silent, her snort heard. "Go on."

"Camila," Malcolm warns, Evie getting up from beside him and walking towards us.

"It's fine, it's just a stupid dare," I tell him, annoyed with how they all wanna make Avery my one and only personality trait.

"A stupid dare," Camila snorts again, pissing me off even more. "The second stupid dare."

"Camila!" Malcolm exclaims, up on his feet but too late.

Avery was faster.

He jumps at her, pinning her below him with his hand around her throat, literally no one trying to stop him. I would have if it wasn't for my paralysis.

"Watch your fucking back from now on," he growls, her hands going around his. "Watch your fucking back."

"Still as hostile," a male voice is heard, the already silent room now feeling like a grave, not a single breath daring to draw attention to itself.

Avery's head snaps up, his rage painting his face in a look I couldn't ever have imagined it to have. He looked like a volcano trapped under thick ice seconds ago. Now? That ice is being cracked.