Abandoned zoo

Back in high school, I took a mystery and mythology type class for half of my semester. It was nearing close to the end of the school year. My teacher tells us one day to collect our things and one at a time walk through the door.

We got on one of the school buses and left the school.  The teacher began telling us about all of the sightings of paranormal activity or Bigfoot, biggest mystery of them all.

One of my friends, Conor, was in that class with me.

The bus abruptly stopped and we all glued our faces to the windows as we pulled up to a creepy dirt road. We piled off the bus and looked around.

Besides the big clearing at the end of the road, the place was surrounding by woods.

We walked down the dirt road and stopped.

There were two small buildings and one big one.

The big one had a lot of graffiti tags and broken beer bottles scattered everywhere. The smaller ones had cages stacked up all around the perimeter.

In the ground was a hole with a ladder leading down to concrete. I looked at Conor and motioned for him.

I climbed down the ladder. I flicked the flashlight I had in my bag on.

I walked across the concrete. There were wood stairs across from me leading upwards.

Conor and I walked towards them. We ascended up into complete darkness. The flashlight was our only source of light.

The top of the stairs creeks as we stepped off onto the unstable wood.

It was silent. The only sound you could here was Conor breathing heavily.

The hallway seemed never ending. I pulled Conor closer to me as we continued down the hallway.

Just as I about entered the first room, a sound I will never forget, rang through the hallway.

I kind of froze in place. It was a high pitched scream that you usually only hear in movies.

I gained the courage to go into the first room.

I entered and immediately ran as fast as I could with Conor following behind.

I climbed up the ladder and ran to catch up to the group. Conor was shaking when the teacher sat us down.

We didn't tell anyone about what we saw. It's probably for the best.

When we left on the buses, I looked out the window. The girl we seen was standing outside creepily waving. Conor seen her and looked back at me.

I looked at him and shrugged.

After that day we never stepped foot on that ground.

A police investigation started about a missing child that looked exactly like the one we seen.

Could it have been a ghost? Doubtful, but it's interesting to think about.