Chapter 1

A light, cool breeze, starting at my toes, creeps over my entire body, sending shivers sneaking up my spine,the soft warmth of spotted sunlight seeping through my eyelids as I slowly open my eyes. The tattered canopy of leaves above me scatters egg yellow light across my vision, the smell of morning dew drifting to my nose. I feel weightless, like a cloud floating across the sky, my mind flushed clean of worry, my heart devoid of fear and sadness as I lay upon the grass below me. Feeling the paper thin grass blades being crushed under my hand, I push myself up onto my feet, my eyes delighting at the sight of a multitude of trees sprawled out before me, housing the soothing sounds of distant chirps and whistles. It's beautiful, rays of sunlight carefully carress the heavily vegitated floor, maneuvering effortlessly over roots and leaves, allowing a cool shadow to occupy any space the light can not.

Smudges of bright light envelope the corners of my eyes, leaving me turning around slowly, swaying slightly as I do, feeling the soft, welcoming, blinding light in the distance escape through the fingers of my hands as they try without success to shield my eyes. I slowly allow the light to warm my face as I withdraw my hands, trees and rocks within the lights gaze are absorbed and reduced to little more than huge shadows that scower the grass and ground beneath me. It is... magnificent, hypnotic. I take a step forward, feeling the light beckon me closer - a light jolt shoves me forward a few steps, knocking the breath from me - I look back at the light, its wants me closer, it's so warm, so comforting. I take two more steps, the light becoming brighter, yet its calls becoming softer and more distant with each step. - another jolt rips through my chest, knocking me to the ground, my eyes suddenly being blinded by a bright light with silhouettes moving back and forth in front of it, voices growing louder and fading out again , "We... Again... Ready..."-  I return my gaze to the light, it compels me forth, my body seems to become lighter and lighter as I near the source of the light, I pass a small tree, swallowed whole by the light - a third powerful shock of energy shoves me to the floor, the silhouettes return to my vision, panicked voices shouting back and forth, "We lost... one more... "
"Please... come back... plea-" The light pulls me from my mind, I can't stand, I allow the grass beneath my hands and knees to carry me as I crawl closer to the light, "Marceeeeel!" - An electic pulse tears through me, ripping me back to reality, the bright ceiling light blinding me as men move back and forth, "He's coming to, ma'am please step back." The tiled floor below me is cold accompanied by the feeling of something wet beneath my upper back, I can feel an intense pain in my chest, as though a pole has been driven through me. The smell of hot metal assaults my nose while the sound of terrified shrieks stabs at my ears. I turn my head lightly, "Ok on three, lift. One, two, three" the mens hands grab my sides and lift me up while sliding something underneath me. I look to the left, a woman I recognise, Sarah, my mother, is on her knees, another woman is holding her back as she screams out with tears flowing from her eyes. A tear drop rolls down my cheek as I look to the right, my eyes are petrified at the sight of a man lying beside me without life in his eyes, a man with a knife in his chest and a smoking gun by his side.