Death-Cast

Note: Death-Cast has been created by Adam S., but I have created Emily and made up how it works.

For those of you reading that haven't read the book, some background info: Death-Cast is a corporation that calls people to tell them that they're going to die. It's inescapable—once they get the call, they'll be dead within the next twenty-four hours.

Mateo and Rufus are two boys that both met on their End-Day (last day on earth). They then fell in love and on page 308, they kissed. Mateo dies (*ugly sobbing*) in a fire and Rufus doesn't die during the book, but it's hinted at how he dies.

E M I L Y  V A N D E N B R O O K
3:04 PM

Emily sits in her chair, twirling her pencil around her fingers. She stares at her plaque, "CEO of Death-Cast," and wonders for the nth time if she's doing the right thing. The guilt hits her hard every day in everything she does. When she wakes up, the first thought to plague her mind is how wrong it is, the way Death-Cast is run. She can't eat anything. Maybe she doesn't deserve eat anything. At night, she tosses and turns for hours until she passes out from exhaustion.

Five years ago, before she became the CEO of Death-Cast, she was warned that she'd need to be very strong. She had thought, I can do it, and she could, until her parents got the alert. Everything went downhill after that.

The burden of having to keep all the secrets of Death-Cast to herself is weighing her down, more and more with every single day.

Death-Cast started as population control. The government knew that if they didn't do anything to stop the rising number of humans trashing the planet, the world would be destroyed. Their solution? To create an organization that calls hundreds of randomly picked people daily to tell them that they're going to die. When the alert sounds, governments officials are notified and sent to finish them off. To make Death-Cast seem less suspicious, citizens are taken on to complete the calls that would rip countless families apart. Emily knew that the job took a lot out of the employees, and tried to make the walls brighter and the conversations lighter. She decorated with colorful paintings and other luminous objects. She offered paid therapy sessions with high-quality therapists to help with the conflicts her company created within people.

None of it was enough. To call someone and tell them that their life was over was tragic, and Emily hates it. She hates how ruthless the government can be. She hates how she can't even look herself in the mirror anymore without feeling disgust.

Emily sticks the eraser of the pencil in her mouth and flips the plaque face down.

-Bella L, a Silvera Superfan