Chapter 1

Toby

"Eat it, losers. The champs have smoked you once again, and we'll be back the same time next week," Isa said triumphantly as she put down a royal flush. Sadie pushed herself from the table in frustration and said, "I thought that Cole and I were shoe-ins to win this time!" as she began to walk away into the kitchen. Isa turned to Chris with a mischievous grin that only he and she could understand. One could only surmise what they were communicating within a second's glance. They've always had a particularly intriguing way of communicating with one another through expressions which I've always been envious of. My best friend and I could never come close to having the bond that Isa and Chris shared. And, of course, there was another reason for my envy. I was not the only man in Isa's life... My envy would subside the minute Isa would look at me with her large, warm, hazel eyes that made me feel like I was the only man she'd ever love. 

Chris nodded at Isa in understanding before excusing himself from the table and heading to the kitchen. He was most likely going to do damage control. Sadie and Cole had played a good game, but Isa and Chris were a force to be reckoned with. Cole shook his head at the histrionics and excused himself to use the bathroom leaving Isa and me together. Isa, then, turned to me giving me a smile that oozed triumph. She winked at me as she got up came over to the sofa where I sat. As soon as I knew she was within my reach, I pulled her into my lap and asked, "Have I told you that you are simply an amazing woman?" She caressed my jaw with her soft hands and looked into my eyes. She then said, "You tell me all the time, but I appreciate it nonetheless." She gently placed a kiss on my lips, and, then, laid her head on my shoulder. "You're not so bad yourself, Toby," she said distractedly. The familiar buzz of my alarm alerted me that I needed to be on my way to the airport.

As much as I wanted to stay there with her, I couldn't because I had to meet Rogers at Yeager at 0700 to be debriefed on the case I was going to be working there. Reluctantly, I said, "Babe, I have to catch my flight pretty soon, so I have to head out." "Okay, Toby. Let me walk you out," Isa replied giving a brief yawn. She got up, and I did likewise. Then, I entered the kitchen to see Sadie berating Chris who shook his head in amusement. It was a charming spectacle solely because Chris had a solid half-foot on Sadie, so she was looking up. I could only imagine the amusement that Chris felt as he looked down at her.  I interrupted by saying, "I'm so sorry to interrupt you, Sadie, but I wanted to tell you and Chris goodbye before I left." Sadie looked in my direction and her frown turned into a warm smile."Toby, darling, you didn't interrupt a thing. If anything, thank you for giving me a break from informing Chris about the difference between feminism and extreme feminism," Sadie said as she hugged me. "How did that discussion come up? I thought you were talking about cards," I said with a lighthearted tone as I came up to Chris and shook his hand firmly. He shook mine back and said, "See you next week, Toby. As always it's a pleasure to play against you, but next time I will beat you."

I chuckled and said, "I'd like to see you try. Although, I have to admit that your strategy is almost as good as mine."  Sadie resumed with a resounding, "Now, where was I, Christopher. Oh, yes-" I quickly exited the kitchen knowing that Chris was going to be enduring Sadie's wrath for the rest of the evening. Isa met me at the door, and we walked out onto the porch, then, to my car. Once we walked to my car, I wrapped my arms around the small of her back and deeply kissed her for a moment before I said, "I have something special for you, Babe, but you'll have to close your eyes." She rolled her eyes but complied. I opened the driverside door and reached beneath the seat to retrieve the velour jewelry pouch. I asked her to open her eyes and gave her the pouch. I waited patiently for her to pull out the box that contained the necklace.  She saw the necklace and gasped. "Toby, it's beautiful. Why would you get me this? Did I forget something? " she quietly exclaimed. Smiling stupidly, I said, " Isa, I got you this necklace because you are an amazing woman who works very hard and deserves the world." Her brows furrowed as she examined the necklace; it was an 18-karat yellow-gold David Yurman necklace with a mini pendant in the shape of a circle. "Toby, how much was it? David Yurman is not exactly cheap... I don't think I should accept this," she said looking into my eyes. "Don't worry about that, Babe," I responded then kissed her forehead.