Brothers

SAIGON, VIETNAM

I caught the ball as it bounced back from the wall. James had gone out for the night, and he refused to let me come with him. It was already enough that he had brought me out to Saigon with him. The hotel room was cramped, with one bed, a wooden chair, and a TV that didn't work perched atop a large dresser with drawers that only pulled halfway out. James and I kept our stuff in bags anyway. I had finished reading The Time Machine, and only read halfway through The Island of Doctor Moreau because it was rather horrifying. James told me he'd be back rather late, so I was to lock the door and go to sleep at a reasonable time.

I sighed deep as I threw the bouncy ball again, only this time it bounced onto the floor instead of onto the bed. I let it go and rolled onto my stomach. James had been decommissioned for the past week and a half, but he didn't want to talk much about the war. It was understandable. I had never been to war, but I had seen things as simple as photographs that had shook me to my core. I couldn't imagine what being out there fighting would be like.

I realized my body was falling asleep while my mind was still running, which was unsurprising. James and I had spent the day exploring the city. He had almost forced me into picking something out from a store, because my birthday was coming up soon. I responded with a cheesy classic.

"All I want is for you to stay home."

He ate that one up. James had basically been taking care of me since I was barely a teenager. That was when my father married his mom. My father had died a year or two after, and his mother three months after, of grief. I was thirteen by the time that happened, but James was much older. He could've taken me to an orphanage or left me on my own. He took me in instead. He joined British Special Forces three years after he brought me to live with him. He was decommissioned two years later, which brings us to today. I had been living basically on my own for that time, but somehow my brother always found a way to make sure I had enough of everything to get by.

I jerked up when I heard the door open.

"You didn't lock it?" Blue eyes squinted at me.

"I was going to, I promise. I'm not even asleep yet, Jay." I stifled a yawn.

He gave me a deadpan face, locking both locks on the door as loudly as possible. His face softened as he pushed me over, making room for himself to sit down next to me.

"What's up?" I could tell something was bugging him.

I felt my heart drop to my stomach. He wasn't going back to war, was he?

"Irene, listen ... you know I've been decommissioned." He trailed off, picking stray hairs off the blanket as he avoided my glances.

"Yeah, and?"

He sighed, contemplating something. I scratched at my finger, increasingly nervous.

"I've been offered a job." He blurted.

I looked up. Why was he so slow about telling me that?

"Where?" I heard the weak sense of betrayal in my own voice.

He looked up to meet my eyes. I felt like I was on the verge of holding back tears as he stuttered.

"A-ah-an island. An uncharted island in the South Pacific." He averted his gaze back down.

I paused before speaking, more aggressive than I wanted to be. "You're ex-special forces, what do they need you for? Who even needs you?"

He sighed. "It's a group of scientists, Ire. Look, they need me to be their tracker, essentially. It's only supposed to take a week, and I could leave you wi-"