The Day We Met

The Day We Met

I can still remember the day we met.

I was twenty-two and had just finished my last year in college before starting graduate school.  It was a beautiful June day and I was sitting in the park that I used to go to as a kid almost every week.  I wasn't in a very good mood because I had just gotten some news that I knew I would be getting.

My ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend were getting married.

It had been a year since I'd seen either of them, not since I caught them together...in my bed.  I was devastated and pulled myself away from everyone.  I immersed myself in school and never made time for anyone.  I just wanted to be alone.

I had run into them that morning at the coffee shop that I used to work at in high school.  It was awkward, seeing them, even more when we spoke.  That was when I caught sight of the glittering diamond ring on her left hand.  I couldn't get out of there fast enough before the tears were streaming down my face.  I was wanting it to be me wearing his ring on my finger, not her.

So there I was, walking through the park with the sun shinning down, not a cloud in the sky.  That was when I heard the sweetest little giggle before a little body crashed into my legs.  I looked down to see a girl no more than two years old with dark, curly brown hair and bright blue eyes.  She was wearing a pink tutu and fairy wings on her back.  My heart melted when she smiled up at me.

Then there you were, running up to us.  You leaned down and picked her up, scolding her for running away from you and into me.  You called her Faith, she called you Daddy.  You didn't look at me at first, but I was looking at you while you stood there with her in your arms.  She looked so much like you, the same dark hair, the same eyes and face.

That was when you told her to say sorry to me.  You finally looked at me and your eyes widened.  You were speaking to Faith, but you were still staring at me.  It barely even registered when she said her 'sowwy', to both of us, I think.

It was like those instant connections that some people get, kind of like love at first sight.  I couldn't seem to look away from you, you couldn't seem to look away from me.  Faith was looking between the two of us, a smile on her face.  Yes, she was young, but she looked like she knew what was going on.

You held your hand out to me, introducing yourself as Chris.  I took yours in mine, introducing myself as Elle.  You smiled as you shook my hand and didn't let go for the longest time.  It wasn't until Faith had said she was hungry that you were brought back to the present.

You asked me if I would like to come have lunch with the two of you, that you'd pay.  I said yes, though I would get mine myself.  You reluctantly agreed, smiling, and we started walking toward the park entrance.

We went to yours and Faith's favorite diner.  It happened to be mine also.  When I told you, you just smiled.  I still couldn't look away.

People would have thought that eating with a complete stranger was uncomfortable, but with you it wasn't.  It was strange, but with you and Faith, it was like I was me again, I could breathe again.  I hadn't felt like that in a long time.

It was mostly about Faith as we ate.  She wouldn't stop talking, giggling, and smiling.  I didn't mind it one bit, though, because I got to see the two of you reacting with each other.  While you wiped off her face at the end of our meal, I looked around at the people in the diner.

With Faith's giggles floating through the air, we were the center of attention.  Almost everyone was looking at us with smiles on their own faces.  I could even tell what one woman was saying.  We were 'such a beautiful family.'