z e r o

"Nari, we have to break up."

Those words echoed in Nari's head as she stood alone across her now former boyfriend in the sunset of the empty classroom.

It was one hour past school hours. Everyone had already gone home, but the two had been stuck to cleaning duties. But when Matthew told Nari he needed to tell her something, this was not what she was expecting.

Her chest ached a little, but she was so used to breaking up with guys, it kind of felt like a routine. That was something Nari was not proud of.

"Is it cause of the guy situation?" Nari asked with a pained expression.

"Yeah." Matthew replied immediately. "I.. can't really handle that sort of thing."

As expected. The girl thought.

You see, Nari's guy situation was the one and only holdback for her to maintain a long and healthy relationship. Nari was just so pretty and "enchanting" to the other gender, that (most) guys couldn't help but fall in love with her at first glance. This... what you could call "power" was especially useful when she wanted to lure in a guy she liked.

But of course, when she actually dated the guy she wanted, the guy situation stirred up so much jealousy in the boyfriend that he'd just want to leave. After all, men were sneaking glances at her everyday and it got really irritating. Hence, Nari's longest relationship would be... one week. Yes, that's right, one week. And that one week was with Matthew.

She forced a smile. "It's fine."

Matthew scratched his bleached hair and his eyes wandered elsewhere, as if to do something within the silence would reduce the awkward tension.
"Well, uh... I guess I'll leave now." He turned and walked out.

Seeing Matthew's back turned on Nari stirred up emotions in her.

She unconsciously grabbed his hand, and he sharply turned his head down on her.

Ah, what am I doing!

"Er..." Nari started. She cleared her throat. "Can we at least still be friends?"