Imaginary Friends

Wow, this has been sitting half finished in my drafts for YEARS. Like, I'm pretty sure the last time I genuinely worked on this was near the premiere of Weirdmageon, which is just...wow.

Shout out to the fan artists who all came up with a SU/GF universe I guess, cause that's what really rocked me into the Gf fandom again.

All you really need to know before you read is that Ford figured out Bills scheme a lot sooner, Stan still came (he doesn't know about Bill), they got rid of the portal pages in the journals, and Stan stayed in Gravity Falls with Ford and started the Mystery Shack (Ford does not really approve, but they needed income somehow and he lost all his grant money)

To think that, only three days prior, they had been ecstatic to receive a call from Piedmont, California. The majority of what was left of the Pines family resided there, after all. It had been almost three years since their last family reunion as well. It was due time that they had another one, especially since they recently  heard there were two new faces in the family.
    How ignorant they had been.
    Ford sighed, dragging his hand over his face. After almost a full two days in the hospital, he would be surprised if the smell of antiseptic and the blinding white walls wasn't burned into his brain by now.
    He shifted in the uncomfortable waiting room chair, wincing at the aching back pain that was slowly becoming more common with each passing day. Checking his watch, his brows furrowed.
    Stan should have been back from checking on their nephew and niece-in-law by now. It had been about thirty minutes at this point, well past their allotted ten (that order had originally made Stan go into a frenzy, as he was adamant about not leaving their family all alone in a hospital room).
    Ford kept eyeing the clock, more minutes ticking by without Stan emerging from the corner. A lady who was even older than him glared as his steel toed boots clacked against the floor with his foot tapping. Ford simply sent a glare back and went back to watching the clock.
    After another five minutes passed he jerked out of his seat, startling the lady reading a tabloid. In a few steps he was at the corner where Stan disappeared.
    Turning the corner, his heart stuttered, catching sight of his brother leaning against the wall, shoulders trembling and face engulfed in his hands. Stans trademark suit was worn and rumpled, neither of them had time to pack more than a few spare clothes and essentials before they were speeding off towards the hospital.
    Ford slowly approached, mouth dry. His heart sank even further when he heard the muffled sobs. His brother was never one to cry, especially in public.
    Tears sprung unbidden to Fords own eyes, silently spilling onto his cheeks. He stopped in front of Stan, who briefly looked up with red rimmed eyes before he launched himself at Ford, desperately latching onto his coat.
    "They-they're gone, Ford," he gasped, making Ford grip onto his brother even tighter as his suspicions were confirmed. "They're just...gone."
    Ford nodded against Stans shoulder. He was suspecting as much when his brother did not come back, but to hear it so plainly, so clearly...
    Stan stiffened, quickly releasing Ford and hastily wiping at his eyes and suit. Ford's eyebrow raised, but he turned to where Stan was facing, seeing a young doctor frowning at them in sympathy.
    "I'm very sorry to interrupt," she began, walking closer, clutching onto a wooden clipboard. "But I believe you are the Pines' relatives?"
    "Yes, greetings," Ford managed to say, wiping away the tears on his face.
    The doctor's lips pursed, but she said nothing at the display. "I am very sorry for your loss. We did everything we could-"
    "Lady, we don't want your pity. What'd ya want." Ford glared at Stan, silently admonishing him for his gruff attitude. It was not the hospital's fault that their family was taken away. All the blame landed on the person who believed it would be a good idea to drive while drunk.
    The doctor swallowed, and then before their eyes a mask of professionalism fell over her. She flipped a page on her clipboard and scribbled something before addressing them again.
    "I wish to talk to the both of you about potential guardianship over the two survivors."