Clay Hearts

"I live in a world where every creature, animal, entity, and thing can live in harmony. I live on a planet where a bunny can marry a centaur. I survive on a country that allows two mermaids to love the same mailbox. Tell me, Pele? How can there be so many things to love, but not a single one loves me back?"

Pele rolled her eyes, "Don't give me that crap. You've been on plenty of dates this past month. You just don't flirt with them and act all up tight. This is the last one Fiona. Please try not to judge too quickly."

"All my dates ended badly, and now I don't have one to mess up. It's easy for you. Who wouldn't want to date a colorful dragon like you." Fiona patted Pele's purple hair and poked her small horns.

Pele brushed her hand off, "Humans are cute too. Who doesn't like a girl with Auburn hair and red eyes?"

Fiona sighed, "Just tell me about him. He probably isn't that great either."

Pele arched her brow, "Even if he likes to write too?"

"Wait, what?" Fiona pulled the phone out of Pele's hand. She started to read the profile, "Aiolos. Age: twenty five. Human. Profession: novelist. Loves Indie bands and tea."

Pele smirked, "Fiona, did you make a fake account, so you could date yourself?"

"He's perfect! I'm accepting the date now. I'm so excited!" She clapped her hands together.

Pele led her to their shared bedroom. She pulled the closet doors open and took out a light green dress. She sat Fiona down and went to work on her hair, tying it up in a braid. Finally, she tossed her some shoes.

"I think you're ready. Let me drive you."

The sun had gone down, and the city lights brightened up the buildings. It took a few minutes before they reached the restaurant. The building had tall glass windows, wooden frames, small gardens, and a nice water fountain. It was a grand Italian place fit for humans.

"Go get your man!" Pele said as Fiona got out the car.

Fiona smiled, "Oh hush!"

Fiona walked up to the wooden door. Her heart beat fast, and her breath got short. She calmed her nerves and pulled the door open. An instant breeze came over her, and she relaxed. The shoes she wore clicked against the white tiles. The candles cast shadows on the ivy covered pillars.

She stopped a server, "I'm looking for an Aiolos."

"Right this way," he said handing her a menu.

Her fingers started to rub against the paper, and her heart beat picked up again. She started to analyze every face in the restaurant. "What could he look like?"

"You look nervous," came a man's voice, "Fiona?"

Startled, Fiona whipped around to meet a handsome face with coal black eyes. She backed up to take in his full appearance. He had black hair too and was a bit taller than she was. His smile seemed comforting, and her body relaxed again.

"I tend to get nervous on dates. Please forgive me."

He smirked, "No, its okay. Take a seat."

Fiona sat down across from him. The waiter poured some water in two glasses and left.

Fiona coughed, "I'm surprised you didn't order tea."

"I'm surprised you remembered that from my profile," Aiolos laughed, "I'd much rather drink tea when I'm writing."

Fiona blushed, "It was just a random fact that came to my mind. What books have you published?"

"Well I've started a couple of children books, but I'm getting into a novel."