𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER SEVEN | MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THE MINUTE THAT RILEY DROVE OUT OF THE CONFINES OF MYSTIC FALLS, SHE IMMEDIATELY FELT BETTER. She knew that getting away from the small town that contained so much drama would be the best thing for her right now, and so she was headed to her grandmother's new home in Georgia. Gwen was completely elated when she heard of her granddaughter's decision to come and stay with her for a few nights, though she guessed that something must've happened back home.

"I'm not saying that I'm not happy to see you, sweetheart. But, I just wish you'd tell me that the matter was." Gwen heavily sighed as she wandered back into her living room to hand Riley a cup of coffee.

The strawberry-blonde gave Gwen a thankful smile, though she shook her head. "Look, I just— I came here to get away from the drama, not relive it."

As much as Riley desperately wanted her grandmother's advice and guidance on the situation, she couldn't possibly explain it without having to go into depths about the supernatural world and that was something Riley wanted to keep Gwen away from.

"Riley, I can't help you unless you tell me." Gwen pressed once more after she had sat down on the couch opposite the young witch. "Is it that boyfriend of yours? Damon? What's he done to upset you this time?"

"Grandma, could you just—" Riley immediately paused when she noticed her tone of voice had come out harsher than she had intended. "Please, just let it go, okay?"

"Fine! Fine. You always were stubborn, just like your Mother." Gwen muttered underneath her breath. "So, how long are you planning on staying?"

"Uh— I was hoping for a few nights. Just until I get my head together." Riley took a small sip of her coffee and then scrolled through her phone, noticing the several missed calls she had received from both Stefan and Damon.

"You're welcome for as long as you need, you know that."

"Thank you, Grandma." Riley thankfully smiled toward Gwen, though her attention was taken by Stefan calling her once more. "He's just gonna keep calling me."

"Well, then answer," Gwen stated bluntly as she watched her granddaughter roll her eyes and then lift herself from the couch to wander into the hallway.

"Before you say anything, I am fine," Riley whispered softly into her phone the moment that she answered Stefan's call.

"Right, well, that's something." The Salvatore scoffed. "Only I've been trying to call you for hours now. Where are you?"

"I'm not an idiot. If I tell you, you'll just try and talk me into coming back to Mystic Falls. And, I really can't be there right now."

"So, you're at your Grandma's." Stefan knowingly scoffed and was met with nothing but silence from Riley. "Look, whatever's going on between you and Damon is no reason for you to pick up your things and run away."