1 - You Back Off

Rainbow happens -
when you let your mindset wander,
without wonder,
of when it could rain.

The van nearing into the prison yard, and a brief glance down her ubiquitous orange outfit made it very clear that this, was real. There was no way back, it was time to pay for mistakes.

Sending her eyes anywhere they could reach, Alex Vause explored the intimidating structure from outside with banging curiosity. The dark brown painted walls frightened her. Every trace of dirt on them earned a new shade of disgust and guilt. It was the middle of July, the sunbeam showered earth and was giving it a glowing, brightened look. Such a beautiful weather for a dark day, Alex contemplated.

Her driver was sweet, wore an Italian accent and high-pitched voice. They shared a swift moment of banter, and her cute, easy-going personality made Alex innocently cling to the belief, that maybe, just maybe, prison wouldn't be so harmful. Lorna was her name, and she kept a conversation going although Alex was in for anything but chatter at the current situation. Lorna somehow managed to always find something to talk about and never get bored with herself. She mainly discussed fashion and wedding dresses in specific. Alex guessed Lorna must've been engaged to a man whom she loved dearly, though she didn't make any effort to reassure her assumption, but just listened carefully to what she had to say. Lorna kept going on about her favorite type of clothing for great events, and for some odd reason, her enthusiasm supplied Alex certain comfort.

On the other hand, the other women sitting in the vehicle seemed to be pretty annoyed with Lorna's energy. The situation felt rather uncomfortable nor threatening to Alex. She was sharing a prison van with irritated women, some younger, some older, pushed against her due to lack of room in the not so big vehicle. Her partners for the ride stood in total contrast with Lorna's figure. They appeared exhausted, bitten, and on top of all, sad. The atmosphere somehow resembled a pressure cooker, one that's going to explode any minute if someone would say or do anything wrong. A lady from the back seat grunted loudly in frustration, and a pang of terrifying sensation shot through Alex's body. Aware of her surrounding, Alex decided to lay low from now on, and let her conversation with Lorna slowly drain.

That's it. They have parked. The van stood still on it's track. Alex wasn't able to look outside the window because every head turned and tried to do the same and her vision was blocked. But, she wasn't oblivious either, the bitter truth hit her as soon as she felt sickness in her guts.

She's here.

The van door cracked open, escorted by stern voices of guards ordering to get out. Reluctantly, one by one Litchfield's newest prisoners stepped outside, emptying the van. As soon as her feet hit the ground, Alex was able to get a full view of the place. Right ahead stood the prison large building whose walls painted dark brown, along side were the lawns and fences rounding them. Something about the air felt thick and Alex had the urge to sneeze, but stubbornly held it in, not wanting to draw any attention to her. Alex's gaze wandered left, and much to her surprise, two more buses were parked in the lot with guards continuing to unload inmates. Alex narrowed her eyebrows, quitely questioning the situation. Is this a new prison? Why are so many people being transferred here? She gasped witnessing one of the guards bluntly grabbing Lorna by the arm and pushing her into the prison. She didn't get enough time to adjust to the sight or have answers though, because she suddenly found herself part of a long line walking towards the entrance.

30 minutes past, Alex had requisitioned minimal basic items, such as scant toiletries, and taken a picture for her inmate tag which was located on the left side of her orange garment. Not really knowing what to expect, she followed obediently inside the wave of inmates being led towards the cafeteria. While they entered the room, Alex's head averted right and what she saw next a shock to the core; Several inmates being kept together in the same crowded room. Potentially, the whole prison population was gathered together. Alex and the rest of the new inmates were seperated from those wearing khaki. Their area was restricted by a black fence, one that looked similar to that which surrounded the prison from outside. Alex stared into the huddle and winced. Her anxiety nearly kicked in at the company of fifteen inmates, and now she was dealing with perhaps two hundred people. In the multitude, most inmates on the other side were seated in tables and Alex could guess they were having groups among them. There were old women in one table, black in another, spanish girls or even dominicans, and others Alex couldn't specifically label. All the while Alex's eyes were fatigued by countless amount of dull people walking back and forth.