Chapter 1

. . . So ask the body. It alone

Knows all you know, and it imparts

Little enough of what is known

To what we call our minds and

Hearts.

So fumbling bodies try to make

Friendship and love as best they

can:

None ever was without mistake

And lies by woman and by man.

- from C. H. Sisson's "I Who Am"

Mask Off! Welcome Back Class 2009!

Juniper Eve squinted up at the banner. She was in the ballroom of one of the largest hotels of the city—The Grand Jewel—and was feeling claustrophobic. Her head throbbed from the bass of the music, thanks to the DJ across from her, and the flashing lights made everything around her wild. On the dancefloor were her classmates from high school, barely recognizable in their finest wear and the masks they had on. Amidst the laughter and chatter, she still felt the odd one out, not enjoying the festivities. The feathers of her owl mask made the spot between her eyes itch, and she kept tugging the hem of her dress down. For the umpteenth time that evening, Juniper wondered why she bothered; the dress she had on was low cut and fitted to showcase her curves—curves that she thought she came to terms with. Yet as the music continued to boom, she began to forget about the dress and just relax.

"Juni?"

Juniper barely had time to react before someone crashed into her and squealed.

"Juniper? Oh my god, hi!" A woman with shaggy, dark hair clasped an arm around her shoulders. "My god, you look great!" When Juniper didn't reply right away, she pursed her lips. "Girl, seriously?" she tugged her cat mask over her head to reveal a pair of warm, hazel eyes.

"Krissy? AGH, SORRY! And hi!" Juniper laughed as she hugged her old friend close.

Krissy was one of the first friends she made in high school. Back then, she was a tanned, slim girl with messy hair and a loud mouth. No matter how many times Juniper tried to hide behind a book, Krissy would always chat with her, drawing the shy girl out. It didn't take long for them to become good friends.

"Look at you!" Krissy enthused as they separated. She held Juniper from her and eyed her friend up and down. "Okay, spill—what's the secret? I swear you keep getting younger."

Juniper swatted at her. Ever since then, her friend always teased her of her baby face. But it's just baby fat! She would joke back, even though she cringed at the line every time.

"Or is it a man?"

At that new question, Juniper felt her smile falter. Her hand found the hem of her skirt once more and tugged, all previous feelings of discomfort rushing back. Her gaze went beyond Krissy as it scanned the crowd.

"No—no guy," Juniper muttered. She licked her dry lips. Her gaze settled on Krissy once more. "But I am thirsty..."

Krissy blinked at her before she tossed her head back and laughed.

Crisis averted, Juniper thought. She looped arms with Krissy and tugged her along. They edged the crowd in search of drinks. Regardless of the loud music, Juniper was able to learn that Krissy was a photographer with her own, personal studio. She also learned that she already had two children, and that her husband was towns away babysitting them. When the topic turned to her, Juniper sighed. She confessed that her life wasn't as grand—she was a struggling, freelance writer, and that she still held the title of "Single since Birth." A string of dating failures didn't count much, and most of her celebrity crushes were married off.