ーgoodbye.

He would never have thought about feeling so tiny, on a day like any other, on an autumn evening. The trees seemed to bend only to yield at the copper leaves a delicate fall, while the wind tried to steal the last ones that were barely still engraved on the branches.

He was still there, on that filthy bridge, watching the crystal clear water that reflected the faint light of the stars.

He had tried to listen to the words of his companions, his friends. The voices that whispered "it's not your fault" fluttered in his mind clogging his thoughts, while the cry of his agony destroyed them.

They could not understand. They did not understand.

And again, tears threatened to invade his eyes and cloud everything up.
He didn't know how to vent his pain, in fact Steve did not know if he would ever succeed without him.
Yes, him. Him who had always been beside him, had defended him from others and from himself, him who had tried to save him, and he did, but he destroyed his world and existence, leaving him to desire something that would never had, and this made him angry. He was furious, he would have preferred to do his same end, but he could not. He could not because it would only be selfishness. James saved him and he just had to be grateful.

Steve smiled faintly like making fun of himself. Obviously he was grateful, of course. He gave him his smile and courage whenever he needed it.
The blonde guy looked up at the night sky. He had asked himself several times if he felt the same when he was next to him. That warm, benevolent feeling that healed any sickness.

He passed his hand through his hair, sighing, then refocused to the sky, a vast expanse of magnificent stars mastered on his head. He stared at it for a few seconds, mesmerized by those few moments of serenity, until he heard some voices calling him.

The funeral has been over since several hours, and some of his friends were looking for him by echoing his name. He turned to the voices, recognizing Tony's and Clint's ones. Rogers contemplated the sky one last time, before joining the others.

"It's a pity that you're not here to see it with me."