Prologue

I knew this was absolutely necessary, but I still objected. Why was everyone acting like they didn't have a choice.

"We still have a choice !" I shouted into the wilderness.

I often came to these woods when I was younger with my father. A wave of sorrow and grief swept over my body, entering every pore. Oh how missed him.

I jumped at the sound of a twig snapping in the distance behind me, slowly I turned fearing what I might encounter.

"Hey what are you doing  here all alone? Everyone is asking for you" the voice bellowed from afar.

It was just James. I let out the deep breath I had been holding. " I came to clear my mind" I stated pathetically. We were moving to Mars and there was nothing I could do about it.

"It can't be that bad" James said. He often had the ability to read my mind, in times like this I appreciated it. I was gratefully to have a friend like him. Our fathers were friends, you could say this friendship was meant to be.

"You can't know that for sure" I whispered. He linked his arm with mine and we made our way back  towards the town center.

"This is really happening isn't it?" A lump had formed in my throat and I struggled to get the words out. I was terrified of leaving my only home behind, that is if I move. Only half the population can move to Mars, you were chosen at random to stay or to go. How is it fair that families and loved ones are separated. My skin burned with anger. My mouth ached from the unspoken words.

James sensed the strong emotion in me. "It will be alright, we will all be alright". I knew those were only words of comfort. He didn't believe them as much as I did.

We burst into laughter. His deep laugh complimented mine perfectly. For a moment the weight of the days to come were lifted of our shoulders, but only for a moment.

The church bells rung. It was time for people to be chosen.

"This is it" James whispered. I squeezed his hand gently in response, not trusting myself to speak. We stood with our families and waited.

Hope everyone enjoys this prologue. Any criticism you have, please share so I can write better in the future.