Prologue

5 Year old James and Sirius were sitting on the plush red carpet of their living room in Potter Manor, playing with toy ships and pretending to be Pirate Captains as their mother Euphemia Potter watched on fondly.

Although the two were twins, and had the same face and build, as well as a similar personality and the same mischievous and adventurous streaks, there were some differences in their appearances.

Where they had the same raven coloured hair, inherited from their father Fleamont, James had his father's extremely messy and unruly hair, while Sirius' was neat and straight like Euphemia's. As well as that, Sirius had grey eyes similar to the sea during a storm, while James had deep hazel eyes, that held specks of blue, green and gold.

Saying that, Euphemia mused that if one were to shave all their hair and cover their eyes the two boys would be nearly indistinguishable from one another. It was obvious to even a stranger that the two were brothers.

Euphemia was pulled from her musings by her two wonderful and extremely loud boys when they had sprung to their feet, both holding toy swords.

"I am the greatest Pirate to ever roam the seas." Shouted James, brandishing his sword.

"Nay, I am. Fear me silly peasant." Replied Sirius.

Euphemia watched with amusement as the two boys shouted war cries and began to hit the wooden swords against one another.

Their mother was unsurprised that the swords were quickly forgotten in favour of rolling around on the floor, wrestling.

Euphemia shook her head at the sounds her boys were making. Honestly they're supposed to be gentlemen she thought.

The boys stopped their rough housing when they heard a knock on the door of the living room.

Both had extremely curious minds and always loved hearing the news their fathers soldiers brought along, or listening to the sailors stories. What was even more intriguing was the haste and force the knock held.
This news must be important.

"Enter" Euphemia said loudly, thinking along the same lines as her sons. Her husband wasn't scheduled to return home from his trip until later that evening, what on earth could this messenger want?

However it was not a messenger who entered at all, but one of her husbands most trusted commanders who stood looking grim in the doorway of her living room.

She sensed her sons' interests increase at the sight of Commander Rubeus Hagrid, he was an extremely large man, but was very close to Fleamont. He was a great shipman and had thought her sons much about the workings of the ships. He was one of the few people who could still be trusted in these times.

"Sorry to intrude Lady Potter" He said in his gruff voice. "I come barin' grave news."

The solemn look did not suit this usually cheery man and Euphemia immediately rose from her chair in worry, fisting handfuls of her expensive gown in her hands as she stood.

"What news?" She asked.

"I've been instructed to remove you and the two young master Potters from here, and bring yer to safety by yer husband" Hagrid told her urgently.

It was a sign they could tell how grave the situation was, that neither boy spoke up. Maybe it was Hagrid's solemn look, or their mothers pale face, but the usual loud boys stayed quiet, standing near one another for reassurance.