intro -

It wasn't like he saw any of this coming.

Really, that would have been crazy. No way could 13 years ago, baby him -blessed with the fullest heart and biggest dreams- comprehend that he'd ever end up in such a drastic, hopeless situation. This small revelation taking place a dark, dingy holding cell after being utterly torn apart in a courtroom.

Perhaps, -he continued- he'd done something awful in another life. Destined for a difficult, incomprehensible dilemma that he'd have to solve himself. But alas.. after every decision made, every path he took, fate had dragged him mercilessly by the collar and casted him upon the barren land of 'rock-bottom'.

"A real shitty, blood-stained hole." He concluded, sourly.

Even after all this time of hiding, running, stealing. It simply showed how fast deceitfulness could catch up, like some kind of persistent shadow. It seized him, groping and binding itself to his skin, an official brandishing of who he had become.

All of this, yet it was funny really, how calm he felt.

Clearly, the feeling hadn't quite settled in that he'd be leaving his normal life behind. Nothing really felt all there because such drastic changes were hard to consume. Instead of rationality and logic, it churned and spat in his stomach instead. As for his heart? Well, he'd half-believe that had left him altogether, absent in aid and leaving his blood to course cold, curdled. Thus, remained a zombified, blithering husk of a boy.

"But really-" He muttered, detached. "-how did I get here?"

It wasn't much, but it was all he could think of. Those same dreary words, beating at the back of his skull. If only he had been smarter, if only he hadn't been in the wrong place at the wrong time. A man of his 'profession' should have known better than to play games in the real world. Eventually, these thoughts began to blend into a singular mush of numbness.

If only God could see him now, hell. He'd probably laugh.

This AU is being posted on two sites.
@seoksjoon - Wattpad
@seoksjoon - AO3

❗️Contains: violence, sexual references, swearing, abuse.

Mature audiences only.