Chapter One

Leafpool awoke in the medicine cat den to see sun streaming into her eyes. She grunted and sat up. She had gotten little sleep last night, due to the fact that Berrynose kept pestering her about a thorn in his paw. Leafpool told him that he would have to wait, because it's too dark to see. It seemed as if came in to my den every 5 minutes last night! Doesn't that cat realize that the entire world doesn't revolve around him? If it weren't for the warrior code, I would—

Her thoughts were interrupted by a cat barging into her den. Berrynose.

"Leafpool! Finally, you're up! I've been waiting all night for your lazy rear to up!" Leafpool gritted her teeth to try and stop herself from clawing his fur off.

"Okay, come over here in the sunlight so I can see it." Berrynose went into the patch of sun and Leafpool treated his paw.

Finally, that's over... Leafpool was quite annoyed, until she realized what day it was.

"The medicine cats are gathering tonight!" Leafpool exclaimed. She heard shuffling noises from the other side of the nest. Jayfeather was waking up.

"Yeah, we are. Now could you keep it down? Some cats actually want to sleep!" Jayfeather grumbled. Leafpool wasn't surprised, as this was the usual behaviour of her grumpy apprentice. She ignored him and continued. The medicine cats are gathering tonight! That means... I get to see Mothwing. A small smile formed on her face at the thought of the beautiful dark golden she-cat. Excitedly, she bounded outside. She looked for the position of the sun. The sun is barely up. That means I still have a while to wait until I get to see Mothwing. She went back inside and started organizing the herbs. Leafpool reached for the borage leaves, and realized there was almost none left. She awoke Jayfeather again to tell him that she would be out collecting herbs.

Leafpool approached the usual spot that she collected borage leaves, when she saw the plants were completely trampled. She sniffed around, and noticed a stale twoleg scent. Twolegs... She thought bitterly. Leafpool tried to think of another spot that had borage, when she remembered that she saw some by Riverclan territory when she was looking for poppy seeds. She started to head over to Riverclan territory, briefly scanning the surrounding area for any borage along the way.

When she arrived, she looked around to see if she could find the herb she was looking for. After a couple seconds, she saw some beside a large tree. She happily padded over to the borage. After picking a few leaves, she noticed that the Riverclan scent was growing stronger. Leafpool looked up from the plant, she realized she was pretty close to the border. In the distance, she spotted a familiar she-cat. Mothwing! Leafpool was happy to see Mothwing, until she realized that Mothwing could be here to get Leafpool away from Riverclan territory. She started to slowly back away.

"Leafpool! Leafpool! It's okay, I'm not here to get you to leave!" Mothwing shouted to Leafpool. Leafpool stopped and walked towards Mothwing.

"Fancy meeting you here." Mothwing jokingly said. Leafpool tried to talk but realized she still had leaves in her mouth. She dropped them on the ground.

"Y-yeah..." Leafpool stammered, lost in Mothwing's mesmerizing eyes.

"So, here to steal all our herbs, are you?" Mothwing asked. Leafpool tensed up. She didn't mean to steal Riverclan's herbs!

"N-no! I... I can explain! It's—It's j-just—" Leafpool stammered.

"Leafpool, it's okay! Calm down. I'm not actually mad at you. It was a joke. It—It's really fine." Mothwing stated reassuringly as she touched her fluffy tail to Leafpool's shoulder. Leafpool could feel herself blushing. She awkwardly looked down, as she could feel a smile creeping on her face, and she didn't want Mothwing to know that she had a crush on her.

"Thanks." Leafpool whispered. Leafpool and Mothwing stood in silence for a few seconds.
"Well, I should be getting back now. Willowshine or Leopardstar might get suspicious of where I was." Mothwing spoke.

"Okay, bye... See you tonight! Leafpool told Mothwing with a hint of sadness in her voice, as Leafpool was sad to see Mothwing go. Mothwing then turned away and brushed her tail against Leafpool's cheek.

"Bye." Mothwing meowed as she looked back at Leafpool with a smile. Leafpool simply stood still while blushing with her mouth slightly agape. She then briefly closed her eyes and turned away back to Thunderclan territory.