Heaven, or Hell?

Spin the bottle, truth or dare, or seven minutes of heaven? We couldn't decide which traditional high school party game to play at Mckenzie's party, so we combined the three. You spin the bottle to decide which two people are going into the closet. Then, while the rest were waiting, we'd spin the bottle again to choose truth or dare partners: The bottom of the bottle indicated the victim, and the cap the executor. I think we mostly added the second part so that Jason and Eric could join in, since they were already a couple.

The rest of the contestants in this little party game included my best friend Clayton, who I'm sure was hoping to get in the closet with our host, Mckenzie; Ryan and Ashley, who were already in the closet; Taylor, who had laid claim to the rest of the chip bowl; Aria, Mckenzie's best friend; Cody, who just finished licking his own foot; Austin, who had dared Cody to lick his own foot; and Chase. Chase was definitely the most attractive of the group.

We were all just a bunch of nerdy idiots; in fact, Jamie and Tyrone were playing Rocket League on the other side of the couch, but we decided that it would be funny to try to act like we were into these kinds of games. It was actually kind of fun until it was my turn to spin for the closet, and the bottle landed on Clayton.

I immediately reached down to respin. Mckenzie stopped me. "Uh-uh. No respins," she declared. Her face was oddly determined.

"But it's Clayton!" I responded.

"And?" she prompted.

"I've known him since we were five!"

"The chance that we have to kiss people that we don't want to kiss is all part of the game. If you can respin, then everyone can respin, and where's the fun in that?"

"But-"

"No!"

"Please?"

"Closet," Mckenzie pointed.

"Ughh." I wanted to argue more, but I knew that no amount of pleading was going to change her mind.

Clayton and I were awkwardly ushered into the space, then shut up in the dark by Mckenzie.

We were way too close to each other. I tried to shuffle back, but there was so much junk in there that I fell over and bumped my head on the wall. Clayton pulled me back up, with some effort, but by the time I was up again, we were smooshed together even closer than before. I'd never felt so awkward or uncomfortable next to Clayton in my entire life, and who could blame me? I was meant to kiss him in a closet while our friends waited in the other room.

"You okay?" he whispered. I could feel his breath breeze past my face.

"I'm fine," I said just as quietly, although I was obviously freaking out.

"You're freaking out, aren't you?"

"No I.... Yeah I am." There was no use trying to lie to him. We couldn't even see each other's faces, but he knew my thoughts.

"Look it's.... We don't have to... You know..." I felt him shift around a bit. "Like I know that... Nevermind." Clayton has never been especially great with words, though I have never minded much.

"Yeah, I'm sorry."

"You don't need to be... sorry."

"No... I- I know you wanted to be in here with Mckenzie."

"...Mckenzie?"

"Yeah... Yeah, you like her, right?" It was obvious that he did. He had been spending a lot of time talking with her recently, and he doesn't talk to many people without me there.