Chapter One: Hello...I Guess?

107 days

Have you ever noticed how you can sometimes see the moon out during the day? When you were little you probably wondered why it was there because the moon is a symbol for night and darkness; the sun is what's supposed to be there, full of light to guide you through the day. The sun and the moon have their own domains until the other intrudes each day.

 Now stick an awkward girl with dirty blonde hair in a school full of people who have found their own domains amongst each other, who have stuck roots into friendships that will never be untangled. I'm just here to fill the role of the much needed background filler. Don't get me wrong, I have friends. I just don't have enough memories compared to other peoples'. I just don't know what to say next sometimes in group conversations.

I am in high school, a.k.a. my safe haven. Classes and subjects just seem to turn my brain on. I do have memories of school achievements, lots of them, but how much do they help when you're bored on a Friday night with nothing to do? Today I have world studies first, which is good because we're taking a midterm exam. Yes, make fun of the nerd who likes taking tests. But its when my strengths can shine, not a basketball court or center stage. And my best (closest) friends are in the class, too.

I don't know where'd I'd be if I didn't have Dani and Hunter. Honestly, us three have made most of memories and inside jokes that I know.            

I get to class, take my seat, and start my usual routine. Pencils out, water bottle in top left corner, begin the pep talk. If you thought I was a dork by now, you're wrong. I'm a cheesy, sarcastic dork. Ok, another A+ is ours. We studied for this, we know this. I say in my head to my lame self. Dani sits down in the seat next to me and as soon as her butt is touching the seat, my teacher, Mr. Corinelli begins explaining the usual stuff about the test. Hunter sneaks in to a seat in the back of the room. The second bell has already rung. Crap. Poor Hunter.

"Late, Mr. Kellis. And on a midterm day." Mr. Corinelli marks him late on the absentee roster and moves on with the pre-exam announcements. He then passes out the test papers and I begin with confidence.

An hour later I finish the test and hand it in. I am pretty sure I got a really good grade. Dani finishes soon after. I look next to me and she's looking back. We just know that the other one wants to do somethinng else besides just sit here. Thankfully the bell rings soon and I get up to go to my next class.

Dani and I walk on either side of Hunter through the hallway. We do this a lot. We poke him in the elbows because he's really ticklish and we both agree he has a really funny laugh. He loves it (see my sarcasm there?).

"Hey stop it!" he says in between squeals of laughter.

"Hey Grace, do you want to come over tonight and hang out? Hunter you want to come too?" Dani asked in kind of a serious tone.

"Yeah, sure, I don't think I have any plans." I answer.

"I'm free." Hunter calmly responds now that we stopped poking him.

All of our parents are okay with Hunter staying overnight at our houses because he either stays in our guest bedroom or the couch and they know we're all just friends.

We all say goodbye and good luck for each other's next classes and head into different rooms. I walk into Spanish with a little more energy from just simply talking to my friends. I was distracted by thinking about the excitement of hanging out with Dani and Hunter until I noticed a new kid sitting in my seat. A very good looking new kid. A very mesmorizing new kid. What the hell? This is kinda the spot reserved for me, the teacher's pet? You know, front row, easy to ask lots of questions? Its January, almost February, and this kid switches schools?

Since I am awkward as hell, I didn't realize I was standing at the side of the desk, waiting as if I expected the Earth to tip just a little bit, enough that he would fall out of the chair and it'd be mine. He realized I was standing next to him, staring down with probably the most confused looking face ever. Something weird happened. He smiled.

"This was your seat I'm guessing. I'm sorry, I'm new and the teacher said I could pick a seat. I'll move though." he starts to actually pick up his brand new books and shuffle away yet I choose to stop him.

"Oh, god no, I'm sorry. We don't really have assigned seats in this class I just kinda assigned myself the first day of school. You can sit here though. I'll sit here," I point to the chair next to it.

"Okay, you do that," dreamy kid laughs. "Oh, and I'm Carter. Carter Isaacs."

"I'm Grace. Grace Welsh." I stumble on my words a little.

"Well, Miss Welsh, bonjour," he jokes.

I am kinda gullible, so I don't know if he's joking or not, but I decide to try to play along. "Mr. Isaacs, your Spanish is très bon."

I said I'd try. A for effort?

"Whoa, you actually know French? I thought this was Spanish class," Carter gawks.

"Well, I learned the basics of it from one of those Rosetta Stone programs over the summer of eigth into ninth grade," I try to say without bragging.

"That's really cool. I suck at the English language, let alone two other foreign languages."

Not to mention the other languages I'm proficient in: sarcasm, profanity (when I'm pissed), Harry Potter spells,Youtubers, and general fangirling.

I laugh at Carter's joke and class begins. I'm distracted by more than just hanging out with Dani and Hunter tonight.

Hello my friends! Its Kass and if you've read my Percy Jackson fanfic (its not done) don't expect this to be anything like it. This is what I've been feeling like writing for a while and so I shall let you all finally see it! As for the '107 days' part in the beginning of the chapter, you will have to wait to find out what it means!