Study Session

Ethan's POV
"Mom, can I go to Zylen's house later on this afternoon?"

Mom paused, tightening her grip on the steering wheel. She pursed her lips together before opening them to speak. "And why is that, Ethan?" She asked me in a stern tone. "Haven't I told you to stay away from him?"

"Yeah, but it's a study session with him. Y' know, because exams are coming up. And that he's quite poor in his academics," I lied. That statement was actually half true. Exams were really coming around the corner and there's less than a week of preparation and revision for that. But mostly because I wanted to escape the hellish place I call home.

"Hmm, fine. But only for today, Ethan. After that, no more interactions with that boy," she said to me. I was glad that she bought my lie and agreed. "Thanks Mom!" I leaned over, pecking my mom's cheek. She flinched when I did that.

"Ethan, you're 16. Be more mature," she mumbled, though a small but genuine smile tugging at her lips. Man, it's been a long time since I last saw her smile at me like that...... Not until she got promoted from clerk to manager in the company she worked in.

Before I knew it, we had reached home. She pulled over in front of our house, unlocking the door for me to go out of the car. I grabbed my bag and exited the car.

"Bye, mom," I said to her nonchalantly before slamming the door slightly. She looked at me for a brief moment before driving off into the distance. I took a deep breath, thinking as to what I should do next.

What time did Zylen tell me to meet him at his house again?

Flashback
"Hey, Ethan~" Zylen whispered in my ear, sending a chill down my spine. I sighed in exasperation and turned my head to the side, now looking at him. "What now, Zylen?"

"Guess what~?" His silver eyes- well, his silver eye since the other one's covering with his eyepatch- lit up as he said it. I had no idea where this is going but decided to play along anyway.

"You asked Melissa out, didn't you?!" I exclaimed in a sarcastic tone, still maintaining my poker-face. I bit my bottom lip, trying to contain my laughter. Zylen, for once in my life- even though I've only known him for like a few months- deadpanned.

"No, I did not. After all..." He brought a hand up to my face, lifting my chin slightly. My cheeks heated up at his gesture. "You make a better subject than them, Ethan~" He smirked at my now ablaze face. I pushed his hand away in embarrassment.

"Anyway, what did ya wanna talk about?" I asked him, hiding my face behind the hand I just used to smack his away. ("smack" hmmmgh, maybe zylen coulf make ethan smack something else-///slapped)

"Well, my parents have gone on a business trip overseas for two weeks~" He chirruped. "Sooo...?"

"I have the whole house to myself~! And even better, they gave me permission to bring a friend over~!" He clasped his hands together as he leapt in joy. Man, this guy needs to see a psychiatrist...

"So, you want me to go to your house? Like a sleepover?"

"Uh-huh~!"

I hummed, thinking of an answer. Well, I could escape from that hellish home and live life the way a normal teenager should. I'll have to convince Mom though...

"So...?"

"Okay then. What time?" I asked him, agreeing to go to his house. He stroked his chin thoughtfully.

"How about 4:00p.m?"

"Sounds great."

"Yay, Ethan's coming over to my house today~!" Zylen wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a hug. "L-Let go.... can't breathe..."