Initiation

I was woken up by the sound of a door opening and closing. There was a blindfold covering my eyes; plus, my hands and feet were tied to the chair I sat in. From the tap of his cane I knew it was Kaz, but why he kidnapped me I wasn't sure. He stopped in front of me and pulled the blindfold down.

He looked well rested for once which caught me off guard. Everyone was talking about how little he had slept since his Wraith vanished. No one knows why she left, if she was kidnapped, or what happened to her, well they thought no one knew.

"So, do you know why you're here?" Kaz asks, he almost sounds bored.

"Not a clue honestly, does it deal with your runaway spider?" I respond testing the waters.

I see his jaw set, "It may, but what matters most is are you willing to be cooperative?"

My brows furrow, "Is there really much choice with you?"

I see the faintest smile touch the corners of his lips before he responds, "I need you to be my new spider."

Now that, I was not expecting. I thought he knew that Inej and I were close friends, or maybe he does and he just isn't playing that yet.

Either way the shock must've shown on my face because this time he allows himself to smile before he asks, "Why are you so surprised?"

"Because you kidnapped me to give me a job offer." I answer flatly with a raised eyebrow.

It didn't add up and I didn't like it. Kaz studies me for a moment, I'm not sure what he's thinking about but I could tell it was not about me.

"Would you have willingly talked to me when we both know you saw Inej the day she vanished?"

I don't let the surprise show on my face this time, "I suppose not but all of this was a bit much Kaz, now untie me please."

"Not just yet, we have more matters to be discussed. So, you did see her before she left?" His voice was smaller and he avoided my gaze.

"You didn't know?"

"I had suspicions but you just confirmed them," now he held my gaze.

"I did." If he thought I'd tell him more than that he was truly stupid.

He shakes his head and sighs, "Is she safe?"

Where is she? Is what he meant.

"Of course, she's the Wraith." I answer plainly.

"Why'd she go?" This time his voice was raspier, if I was dumb I would've thought he may've been crying, but I know what betrayal sounds like from him.

"Kaz you'll have to find her to know," now I sound bored. When his eyes met mine, I could tell my answer would not suffice.

"I will ask only one more, why?" He holds my gaze till I look away.

"It's not my business to tell Kaz, all I will say is that she's safe and she's happy."

His demeanor changed a little, he stretches out his bad leg, rubbing above his knee.

"Who else makes her happy?" He almost seemed to be asking himself.

I look at him again, he was rather good looking, if I were Inej I probably wouldn't have left his side but that's also because he owns the Barrel. Power means everything here. Inej knows that and she knew what she was costing him by leaving. She had told me she wouldn't forgive herself but she also couldn't stay, not if it meant putting everyone at risk.